Recommended $100-$200 MM Cartridge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for everyone's inputs on a new MM cartridge in the $100-$200 range. I'd love to spend more, but I just can't risk a $400+ cartridge when I have a wild 2-1/2yo son...

I have a Grado Green right now and enjoy the sound a lot, so the Grado Red, Grado Silver, and Grado Gold are on the short list.

I'm also considering the Ortofon 2M Blue, Shelter 201 II, Sumiko Pearl, Shure M97xE, and Clearaudio Classic.

Can anyone with these cartridges chime in with their opinions please?

My current TT is a Pro-Ject 1.2, but I will probably be upgrading to a Debut III or similar in the near future.

Thanks,

BMF

i wouldn't personally go for a higher grado unless you shoot straight for the gold, the differences are just not big enough to justify the money spent.
what is it about your green that makes you want to upgrade?
have you considered modifying the cart? Longhorn+dampening+10k load transforms the grado into a lovely cart imho. you can also get your grado re-tipped by expertstylus (uk) with a shiabata diamond that is said to be an amazing step up. i think it goes for about $160ish. (making my own wallet nervous)

the ortofon 2m blue is a lovely complimentary cart to the grado line. (i have a grado blue as well as a 2m blue) the sound is totally different. its presentation is bright, clear and open. as opposed to the darker sounding grado's. i love mine, and i woulnd't hesitate to recommend it.

sorry that i cant give any clear recommendation's, but i thought some info might go a way to help.

jonnywolfet said:
i wouldn't personally go for a higher grado unless you shoot straight for the gold, the differences are just not big enough to justify the money spent.
what is it about your green that makes you want to upgrade?
have you considered modifying the cart? Longhorn+dampening+10k load transforms the grado into a lovely cart imho. you can also get your grado re-tipped by expertstylus (uk) with a shiabata diamond that is said to be an amazing step up. i think it goes for about $160ish. (making my own wallet nervous)

the ortofon 2m blue is a lovely complimentary cart to the grado line. (i have a grado blue as well as a 2m blue) the sound is totally different. its presentation is bright, clear and open. as opposed to the darker sounding grado's. i love mine, and i woulnd't hesitate to recommend it.

sorry that i cant give any clear recommendation's, but i thought some info might go a way to help.

I just found the Grado mods, so I am considering those. I don't dislike my Green, I'm looking into adding a second TT for my office for "ripping" my vinyl into the PC and I'm not sure if the Grado sound signature is something I want for that purpose since I will be performing the ripping service for a few coworkers in exchange for keeping their vinyl.

I was under the impression that the Debut III did have slightly upgraded sonics over the 1.2, but I'm leaning towards the Music Hall MMF2.2.

I've added the AT 440ML to the list too.

I also forgot I have the Sumiko Oyster that came with my 1.2, so I might put that on and see how I like it's sound.

My system is being completely rebuilt as well. I'm planning to build Peter's AudioSector phono stage once he has the PCB design finished. I'm using a Millett Hybrid MAX PCB as my pre-amp which is being built with 12FK6 tubes, Silmic IIs or Muse ES, and Vit Q caps. The MAX has diamond buffers built in and I'll be trying a few different BJT combos until I find the set I really like. The MAX will then feed the signal to AudioSector LM3875 dual mono chip amps. Speakers will be EnABL'd FE127s in Fonken enclosures. Everything is being built in to an old Silvertone console. So, it's not the highest end audiophile system, but it will be unique. The TT cartridge and the DB BJTs will have the biggest impact on the sound and I'm planning to start with the most open and accurate DB setup based on the feedback from many, many builds and reviews.

Thanks for the replies so far.

BMF

A few years back I replaced an old Shure v15 III with a M97xE because the new stylus VN35MR was a significant price. In my twisted little mind, I thought why spend so much on a replacement stylus for a 24 year old cartridge when a new cartridge and stylus is less. New is better....right? WRONG! Now there is nothing out there but overpriced NOS for the V15 III if you can find it. I don't know where I put the cartridge anyway.

YMMV, but I was disappointed. It was a step backwards for me and that is on an old Technics SL-220 turntable (nothing special). Yours may expose even greater differences!

Look at AT and Denon. They have some followers here. I'm sure the other guys will give you a whole bunch of options to consider!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
A few years back I replaced an old Shure v15 III with a M97xE because the new stylus VN35MR was a significant price. In my twisted little mind, I thought why spend so much on a replacement stylus for a 24 year old cartridge when a new cartridge and stylus is less. New is better....right? WRONG! Now there is nothing out there but overpriced NOS for the V15 III if you can find it. I don't know where I put the cartridge anyway.

YMMV, but I was disappointed. It was a step backwards for me and that is on an old Technics SL-220 turntable (nothing special). Yours may expose even greater differences!

Look at AT and Denon. They have some followers here. I'm sure the other guys will give you a whole bunch of options to consider!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

I would love the Zu 103, but it's a MC cartridge and I do not believe my 1.2 is rated for MC cartridges. The phono stage I'll be building will support both, so I'll have the option of using MCs in the future once I order the Music Hall TT.

- BMF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.