repairing an old Dual 505 arm/headshell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

having not used a turntable for 20+ years I picked one up from freecycle - it's a Dual CS505. I'd like to get it working , in part to show my kids how miraculous the LP reproduction is.

This particular model has an integral headshell and a rather beaten looking ortofon cartridge but which also has a Dual ref 149S. The cartridge seems to have a case designed to connect with the headshell in that it has 4 tabs which I guess are supposed to connect to 4 tabs in the headshell. It's not the kind I recall (i.e SME) where two bolts hold the cartridge on with 4 wires emerging from the arm tube. This one uses a tiny long grub screw to hold the cartridge in place.

The whole affair seems in a poor state and looks like superglue has been applied at some point, which is confirmed by no sound coming out of either channel via the Phono/Disc input on my Quad 44. I suspect that the cartridge contacts are not working and the whole headshell assembly is beyond help

Q: Is it possible to remove the whole headshell / cartridge section and replace it with a more conventional headshell ? The dust case has a nasty crack but other than that it's in reasonable condition. is it best put on ebay for spares/repair ?

Hi,the origional cart on the 505 is removed by removing the tiny grubscrew and pushing the finger lift back approx 1/4".The cartridge will then fall off.To use a different cart you need to buy a dual mount kit ,not sure if you can still buy them ,mine was 14.50 in 1986!.I remember having regular problems with the cartridge contacts.On top of the cartridge their are four small metal points which connect to four small springy contacts on the underside of the headshell.Cleaning the contacts using on both usually helped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.