best cheap tube phono chassis for mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a cheap all tube or near all tube cheap phono chassis to mod out for RESALE. I'm being up front about it. Rebrand it after modding, etc. Pound them out the door.

Right now, I've arranged to pick up the Yaqin pre and phono box picked up in Toronto when I drive there for business on Monday.

Any contenders you guys think are suitable? I like simple circuits. For example, the front end of the Jolida is..er..a bit too busy for my tastes.

Simple is ultra-tres-chic, in my book.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KBK said:
I'm looking for a cheap all tube or near all tube cheap phono chassis to mod out for RESALE. I'm being up front about it. Rebrand it after modding, etc. Pound them out the door.

Right now, I've arranged to pick up the Yaqin pre and phono box picked up in Toronto when I drive there for business on Monday.

Any contenders you guys think are suitable? I like simple circuits. For example, the front end of the Jolida is..er..a bit too busy for my tastes.

Simple is ultra-tres-chic, in my book.

The Yaqin definitely needs modding. A pain to disassemble. On a circuit board so you might have to be creative. Controls need to be moved to the the front. Pushbuttons need to be replaced with a toggle switch.

dave

It's seemingly a tough formula or box to find. It's got to be simple and hopefully user friendly. Extreme mods put the unit out of the proper value range. If I can get it to perform the way I want, I might be able to get to the point where I can have them re-arrange some basics for my particular desires.

For example, with new faceplate, one can easily have the controls on the front, and move the phono input to the side or back.

I'll cross that bridge once I see the guttys of it. Or the bridge might collapse while I'm half way over it. We'll find out.

The ML-10 amp seems to have enough problems that they'll possibly like to have someone pick it up for resale, if only to get them out the door. The street price on that one has gone from the astoundingly low $549..to $410. Ouch.

A gorgeous unit, too bad it's seemingly so compromised. The long term reliability over many units, and time on those given units... is also something that needs be addressed. That is a giant unknown. Setting customer's houses on fire, or electrocuting them... is not an option.

Extreme labour can also kill a deal such as this sort of operation.

This sort of thing is what brings the units like the Ming Da onto the table. But the price differential is also there, which also brings problems, when it comes to market viability.

Bestest and lowest price is a hard to beat combination, if one can get there! If reliability is thrown in, then you've got a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.