New TT owner needing advice on skipping, etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought a technics sl-1400 direct drive and it sounds great but is very sensitive. I can shut my door too hard or even walk around too forcefully and it skips. It's sitting on top of a cabinet made to hold stereo equipment. What can I do? I've had two different cartridges on it and it didn't make any difference. Also, how do I know what the appropriate settings are for the two numbered dials? Should they be the same or should I change them if I'm playing thicker or thinner vinyl? Which dial changes the tracking force? Is it the big one at then end of the arm or the small dial below/to the right of it? I have a Stanton V3 500 cart/stylus on it. Here's the specs on the stanton if it makes any difference:
Frequency Response: 20 to 17 kHz

Output @ 1kHz: 4.6mV

Channel Separation @ 1 kHz: 28dB

Channel Balance @ 1 kHz: within 2 dB

Tracking Force: 2 to 5 grams

Stylus Tip: Spherical .7 mil Special High Polish

DC Resistance: 535 ohms

Inductance: 400 mH

Cartridge Weight: 5.5 grams

Tracking Ability: 80µ @ 3 grams

Recommended Load: 47k ohms and 275 pF

HI,
I used to use a pair of 1200' and they sound like they are of a similar design, S-shaped tonearm etc.
The little knob you mention is the anti-skate feature which should stop your arm from 'skating' across your precious vinyl like an olympic gold-medallist.
The big bad boy at the back of the arm is where you adjust the tracking weight of the tonearm/cartridge combo. There may even be an extra add-on weight that screws in behind this, I am not too sure on your 1500 though.
Chances are is that if you have properly counter-balanced your tonearm and the cartridge is well aligned you probably won't need the anti-skate to be adjusted.
You could build yourself an isolation platform for Technics after you have set-up your arm correctly (DO NOT put too much pressure on the stylus!!) and it is easy to make, not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one, good luck.
Thanks
Gareth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.