My LP cleaning method

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I experimented with this method for a while but I stopped after finding that with one record it led to a pronounced increase in surface noise. Although the glue film peeled away cleanly and the disc looked clean, it gave a sound like exaggerated tape hiss which was not present on the other, uncleaned side.

The disc in question was an EMI Eminence of Angela Brownridge playing Satie. I don't know why this particular disc reacted in that way, unless the formulation of the vinyl was different and the glue attacked it. I had previously treated several other discs in the same way, with the same white glue, and they were fine.

it gave a sound like exaggerated tape hiss which was not present on the other, uncleaned side

I think the glue application generally removes 'large' dust particles which sound more like crackle than 'hiss'. Hiss would be continuous high frequency noise and could possibly only occur in the recording or a surface with uniform ( and continuous) very fine surface imprefection ( or deposits!).
Can you see anything with a powerful magnifying lens ? Possibly not.

If the disk was noisy to start with you might not have noticed the hiss. Now that it's clear of large noisy particles the hiss comes out clearer ? It is perfectly possible for one side to have more hiss than the other due to mastering/ pressing issues.
Can you compare it with anyone else having the same album...checking hiss on both sides.

Would you dare to clean the other side too to see if that gets noiser too ?

Crackle due to sticky bits etc is understandable but 'hiss' sounds unlikely ...?

Thank you Cal for your suggestion

You see, the records that need a clean with wood glue are the one formerly played wet. Now don't want to play wet anymore and there is to remove the awful crackle that most of them show when played dry. As such they are rather clean by themselves, don't have dust or big particles in their grooves.
Anyway I tried to wet clean (without RCM, I don't have it) some of them before using wood glue.
I will report results soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.