New Technics SP10 motor controller specification - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 05:48 AM   #371
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Rick

Your frustration is understandable. I have, in the meantime, found myself a nice Yamaha PX-2, which is keeping me very happy for now. I have sold my SP10s, though I still have a motor that I am keeping for this project (mine will be Kaneda-style plinth).

Except for some Japanese DIYers who built new motor controllers, I have not seen other projects that I consider worthy. I think the power supply-only projects don't really do much more than fulfill the buyer's need for an "upgrade".

I hope Steerpike will find the time to kill this project one time. It seems so close and yet so far...
Old 15th November 2010, 09:36 AM   #372
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
I too became somewhat impatient and sent my broken SP10 to Vantage Audio here in the UK. Richard has done a superb job and upgraded the PS, repaired the speed control and fitted a screened flying lead to the PS from the motor. Electronics were already mostly off-board: now the remainder and top-plate have gone so that I too can fit just the motor, Kaneda style, in a slate plinth a la Oswald Mills. Even the speed change switching is now off board! You can google Vanguard Audio UK; They are not cheap, but do carry out excellent work.

For those who need a TT in a (comparative) hurry - google <Lenco Heaven>, which is a brilliant site for updating and squeezing the utmost out of the old heavy platter Lencos. Also see Arthur Salvadori on these conversions.....he places the Lenco - done fully and well - above any other TT!!!!!!!!! Pinch of salt or not, it has remarkable potential - and the total cost to covert to the limit would be much the same as rebuilding and replinthing an SP10.

That said, I am sure that Steerpike will get there in the end, but what will be the uptake on building a complete new PS/Controller will I fear not be large - there are a few of us who have followed this thread for its duration, but whether we will actually "get around to it" remains to be seen!
Old 15th November 2010, 04:46 PM   #373
rich121 is offline rich121  United States
diyAudio Member

I appreciate very much what steerpike has done so far and I'm not refering to his posts specifically, as he has already done more than I would have expected.
When this thread started, I was really wanting to get my SP10's finished, they have been in limbo for over 2 years and I am not getting younger
I want to get my SP10 motor onto a plinth, with the motor controller/PSU all seperate...and I was hoping to have accurate speed control as an addition.

As per the Lenco/Goldring turntables, I'm very familiar with those, I was one of the first posters on the famous "Home Despo" Lenco thread on Audiogon.
I have a Goldring G99 turntable, an L75, a B55 and spare motors... I have the ultimate RCM (record cleaning machine) powered by lenco motors. It's a Keith Monks KMAL MKIII, a dual platter RCM, pictured below.
I have also purchased a PTP (Peters Top Plate) so that I can build a custom table just using the motor/hardware.

Yes, the Lenco/Goldring is another great option for DIY..

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB2602654.jpg (61.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 21st April 2011, 12:17 PM   #374
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Update request...bump!

Arne K
Old 21st April 2011, 02:23 PM   #375
rich121 is offline rich121  United States
diyAudio Member

I would say this thread is Dead...
Old 21st April 2011, 02:49 PM   #376
mtoups is offline mtoups  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich121 View Post
I would say this thread is Dead...
Maybe, maybe not. Patience, sometimes life intervenes and hobbies have to take a back seat only to be resurrected later.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:50 PM   #377
diyAudio Member

^^^ I hope you are correct.

Hide this!Advertise here!