should I chuck my P-mount TT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I am without a TT as my cheapo old JVC is in desperate need of a cartridge, and even then I don't know for sure if replacing that would cure all its ills.

It of course takes a dastardly P-mount cartridge. Since it's not easy to do a search on "P", forgive me if this is repetitive, but are there some DIY techniques for dealing with the issue of replacing a P-mount cartridge without tracking down something antique and overpriced?

TIA

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
It can be done by hand!

I suppose it all depends on just how DIYaudio you are. It isn't that hard to make a headshell out of 1 1/2" aluminium angle 1/8" thick. You want the stylus to be on the centre line of the arm, and the stylus tip to be 9" from the pivot point. The slots need to be at 22 degrees. You needn't worry greatly about precision, because you will align the cartridge later. I have made such headshells with a power drill (in stand), needle files, junior hacksaw, ordinary files, and a bit of patience. A machine tool doesn't actually help very much...

I am not sure that making a headshell to adapt a P mount arm to standard cartridge mount makes much sense. One of the arguments against the P mount was that the attachment method wasn't perfectly rigid -- whether this is true or not, or whether it is all that important doesn't really matter because the headshell you make to allow standard cartridges to be used will be no more rigidly attached than the cartridge would be. So there is no improvement in that area. Meanwhile you have significantly increased arm mass, probably not a good thing especially since the arm itself's rigidity and damping, and bearing slop, were optimised (probably wishful thinking) for the original situation. And, of course, only a few P mount arms had adjustable tracking force.
If there were no P mount cartridges available, or the turntable was flat out excellent and demanded a highend cartridge, then maybe all this work would be justified, but there are plenty of cheap and not so cheap P mounts available, and you do not seem to think that the turntable is so great. It would make more sense to me to simply get a decent cartridge and leave it at that, or replace the turntable.
Unless, of course, what you really want is a project, in which case this sounds like fun.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In Calgary, you should be able to find lots of reasonably priced turntables better than the JVC (i'm imagining one of those later units with the cheap plastic bases).

Any of the mid-late 70s Japanese belt-drives with a standard headshell would do. You would probably need a new belt, but those are obtainable. Something like a Pioneer PL 512, or 514 could run you as much as $5 -30 CAD. Add a budget Grado & a belt and you should still be <$100.

Setup is important too -- many a turntable came with templates that would end with you having a less than optimum cartridge alignment. There is a thread here somewhere where at least 3 good alignment protracters/schemes were posted.

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
This gives the general idea

Just like this.

Attachments

• shell1.jpg
    shell1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 198
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.