Friends of AR Turntables (F.A.R.T.s) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2008, 11:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OldRelayer
Hello Mike,

It is strange, amps are something you never seem to have enough of. I picked up my Marantz today, wow it sounds great. Not sure how I am going to wiggle the amps around. My Harmon-Kardon I dumped a 1/2 glass of Ginger Ale in and it has not sounded the same since. So for the moment I am setting the Marantz up not in its normal place but up on the computer, the final resting place for the H/K will be in my workshop for testing turntables basically. It is decent 90w/c with both MC and MM inputs and variable trim caps, which is a nice feature for testing TTs. I think it will sound a bunch better when completely cleaned. I am putting my AR Rock Partners in the workshop and either AR 2ax or AR5s depending on my budget in the office. I run an M-Audio Recording card so the sound from the computer is excellent and if I decide to leave the Marantz and AR5s it will be a great sounding system, a bunch better than most computer sound. I had AR-5s in the 70s but got involved with speakers wars with the big speakers and went a different way, always loved the sound of them. After 30 years years and my wife mellowing I went looking for AR-5s but they are scare and found a nice pair of AR-3as, a bit more in the bottom but generally in my opinion not as nice as the 5s but were the flagship back then. I have a chance to pick up a nice pair of 5s from not an Ebay deal from the guy I bought the 3as from, he really restores them properly for $200 plus shipping, a great deal, hard to say no. Even these Rock Partners are shinning with the Marantz I think the 5s will be darn right awesome. The 3a's are 4 ohm speakers and are amp killers where as the 5s are 8 ohm. The 5s just have a snap that the 3as don't have, although the 3as are a really nice speaker.

Well that was a long story wasn't it? I would like to specialize in tonearms for AR-XA and AR-XBs, mostly the XA. That should keep me busy. Depending on how you have planned your time after retirement, it could be nice or a boring nightmare. I am slowly finding things to keep me busy, but basically I really dislike not working. I am hoping to do some things and not loose money, I don't mind if I don't make any but loosing seems idiotic. I think I mentioned in the first post I am working on a drop in tonearm for the XA, still in design but might start a little modeling soon. When I see some of these DIY turntables, the better ones, I get all excited about doing one.

Well, you haven't retired yet, so I will close. If you would like to contact me directly please do so, barrym@tds.net

Barry

Hide this!Advertise here!