Sonab 75 S hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !
A few months ago I bought some 20+ years old (Swedish) Sonab 75 S 'hi-fi' turntable. The deck looks lovely and... worked perfectly until suddenly 'something' went wrong and now, together with the music, I also hear the constant electrostatic hum :( I mean when I put the power on the hum is already 'on'... then it disappears, but only when the arm is going (automatically) down / up... when it's on the record the hum is again 'on' :( I changed the cable connecting the turntable with the amplifier... I took the headshell with the cartridge off... the hum is still present... what (the hell) is wrong ? It was perfectly OK when I bought the turntable... I do hope you'll be able to suggest any solution, please ! Thank you very much in advance...

Yours

Tomasz

Tomasz,
You have probably found the solution by now but I have only just spotted your post.

I found that after removing the original DIN plug and replacing it with phono plugs that I too had a quite bad mains hum on it.
It turned out to be poor earthing - I found it necessary to earth to the chassis of my amp (a Quad 405) after which it was fine.
Steve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.