What currently available moving magnet cartridge is the best.??????....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen:

Any thoughts out there about what is the best currently available
MOVING MAGNET cartridge ????????????

I have been transferring my old lp's to cd and am starting to get to the older, more worn albums and would prefer to stop using my Benz Glider moving coil and start using a good moving magnet model.

Also I would like the ability to change the stylus depending on the condition of the album, which I can't do with a moving coil model.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you have...........

oldheathkitphil

thanks for asking ...

i'd like to know this also since my shure v15v-mr is on the way out after many years of good service.

my table is a denon 37f with original arm - not a sonic "drooler", but it serves my needs and my wife likes the way it looks.

i haven't heard these yet but i've been pointed to one or two Audio Technica models that I haven't heard yet. I'll find the model numbers and mention them back here ...

mlloyd1

Hi!
If looking for a really good mm, the Grado reference series is among the best You´ll find, starting with the sonata and platinum models, not cheap and You can´t replace needle, but they might make You use the Benz a lot less. A budgetbargain is the Clearaudio Aurum classic, would be about 300$ i guess, still not replacable needle. If looking for a cheap, but good, tool for CD-transfering Audio Technica AT95E is maybe the markets most fantastic value for money piece availablea notch up Grado gold, better, more refined, better resolution but not as dynamic and sheer fun as the AT. Then Your arm place a role in choise of course.

metako said:
...Musicmaker Mk3, Garrott FGS...

Sorry mate, they're not moving magnet cartridges, they're variable reluctance/"moving iron" type, like the Grados are. Both those guys started out by being Decca distributors/rebuilders, which is why I guess they still go for the VR generators.
People (even reviewers) mix these cartridges up because they have the same kind of output and loading as MMs, but the construction's very different. You can't change the cantilever/stylus assembly on them.

.....but you're right, they are damn good!

I believe you should consider the best Shure cartridge your budget allows.

Stylus replacement is easy and they are readily available, with a wide range of stylii types available.

You can even get them for 78's.

Shure's are tough and will track anything, and if you are transferring to CD anyway, then the final smidgin of quality is not required anyway...

Regards, Allen

jeff spall said:

Sorry mate, they're not moving magnet cartridges, they're variable reluctance/"moving iron" type, like the Grados are. Both those guys started out by being Decca distributors/rebuilders, which is why I guess they still go for the VR generators.
People (even reviewers) mix these cartridges up because they have the same kind of output and loading as MMs, but the construction's very different. You can't change the cantilever/stylus assembly on them.

.....but you're right, they are damn good!
Sorry, my mistake. But they have similar output and compliance to a MM and can be used in place of a MM.

sorry, i haven't yet been able to find the models i referred to earlier ...

mlloyd1 said:
thanks for asking ...

i'd like to know this also since my shure v15v-mr is on the way out after many years of good service.

my table is a denon 37f with original arm - not a sonic "drooler", but it serves my needs and my wife likes the way it looks.

i haven't heard these yet but i've been pointed to one or two Audio Technica models that I haven't heard yet. I'll find the model numbers and mention them back here ...

mlloyd1

Hi

It would help if you gave information on the arm and deck that you plan to use.

Also I am not sure if you want to change from mc or if you want to specially use an mm cartridge.

I mention this because if you have an arm or deck with any damping then I would consider the decca, garrott and musicmaker cartridges. They are all superb - and I think better than mm cartridges currently available. Also the decca's you can change out easily.

Don

I'd think that you would need a REALLY good sound card in the computer to come anywhere near the quality of even the GoldRing or Grado Gold. And I would rate the GoldRing as comparable to the Gold Grado, not a wood Grado. I think the Goldrings are vastly more highly rated in the UK than here in the Colonies. I wonder why that is? To me, it would really have to be some rare vinyl to warrant the time and effort. I'm not sure I understand the prejudice between the moving iron and the moving magnet cartridges. To me, the bottom line is always going to be "what's this thing going to cost me, and how does it sound?" Example. I lined my old B&O cabinets with 1" thick MDF, so they are almost 2" thick. Stuffed some Dynaudio drivers in, with Foster ribbon tweeters. My son has a pair of B&W Nautalus speakers that look like they came from Captain Nemo's Underworld Paradise. Do they sound better than my Kluge Speakers. You bet. Way better. But with the cash gap I could by a nice used Corvette.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.