I made myself a record cleaner - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 12:40 AM   #31
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
While I must applaud the ingenuity, I have to offer a voice of caution about the use of alcohol in the cleaning solution.

Ultrasonics are commonly used in laboratories to aid the solvation of substances that are difficult to dissolve. I would fear that the ultrasonic bath might help the alcohol dissolve components of the vinyl.

A little alcohol in a solution used in an Okki Nokki will not do much harm, but it could be very damaging in conjunction with the ultrasonic effect.

I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying - but I would be very nervous about using alcohol in the cleaning solution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 02:34 AM   #32
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Shropshire, England
Beautifully constructed!
For the removable shaft drive, why not cut slots in the outer tube, and fit a short pin in the inner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drive.jpg (17.4 KB, 1907 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 08:19 AM   #33
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Very lovely, Sclalars!

You are doing what I have been wondering about ever since I first saw an ultrasonic cleaner. The problem with that cleaner was that it was used as a degreaser with freon, initially, and later a more environmentally friendly liquid. This setup would have destroyed the vinyl for sure.

Good going. You have me at the edge of my seat
__________________
Shaun Onverwacht
|||||||||| DON'T PANIC ||||||||||
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 01:44 PM   #34
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Madison WI
Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
While I do love my VPI setup, something that will do multiple records and not sound like a hurricane coming through my apartment would be great.

Keep us updated!

Evan
__________________
Yeah... it seemed like a good idea at the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 03:20 PM   #35
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 12km off the alaska highway in northern BC
Quote:
I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying -
Thanks for making that clear. I have used Isoprop in 50% solution to clean records for the last 50 years, and have yet to encounter a record damaged through the solution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 03:27 PM   #36
diyAudio Member
 
despotic931's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Quote:
Originally posted by Baxthorpe
While I must applaud the ingenuity, I have to offer a voice of caution about the use of alcohol in the cleaning solution.

Ultrasonics are commonly used in laboratories to aid the solvation of substances that are difficult to dissolve. I would fear that the ultrasonic bath might help the alcohol dissolve components of the vinyl.

A little alcohol in a solution used in an Okki Nokki will not do much harm, but it could be very damaging in conjunction with the ultrasonic effect.

I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying - but I would be very nervous about using alcohol in the cleaning solution.

I am curious to know what makes you nervous about using alcohol if you have no direct evidence? I have a buddy who swears by alcohol pads to clean his albums.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 04:01 PM   #37
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
Beautifully constructed!
For the removable shaft drive, why not cut slots in the outer tube, and fit a short pin in the inner.
Yesss, that's the the way to do it, or at least something similar. I did try to remove the metal tube, and just made a split in the acrylic tube, and it was a success

Thanx dnsey!
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 04:09 PM   #38
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun
Very lovely, Sclalars!

You are doing what I have been wondering about ever since I first saw an ultrasonic cleaner. The problem with that cleaner was that it was used as a degreaser with freon, initially, and later a more environmentally friendly liquid. This setup would have destroyed the vinyl for sure.

Good going. You have me at the edge of my seat
Thank you Shaun!

Here is my first idea of a washer. A hand turned one:

Would probably work also, and are easy to make.


Click the image to open in full size.

Lars

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 04:21 PM   #39
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut


Thanks for making that clear. I have used Isoprop in 50% solution to clean records for the last 50 years, and have yet to encounter a record damaged through the solution.
Isoprop combined with distilled water is the most common prescription to clean records here in Norway, so I'm not that anxious about this issue.

Lars
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 10:45 PM   #40
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: No
The mixture is 7 parts of destilled water (or norwegian spring water!), 1 part of alcohol and a little synthetic detergent. Just enough to break up the surface.
After we have heard som concerns about erroding the vinyl, we will do some long term testing to see.
Will you let me do the testing Lars?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When a Kenwood record cleaner-to be becomes a Garrard 301/Thorens TD124 Hybridmonster honinbou Analogue Source 37 18th March 2014 07:21 PM
My DIY record cleaner. mattjk Analogue Source 104 26th April 2013 10:10 PM
Ultrasonic Record Cleaner- any feedback Ianmac Analogue Source 7 13th November 2012 04:28 AM
DIY Record Cleaner Machine cactuscowboy Analogue Source 19 3rd August 2009 06:15 AM
Inverting rotation of a VPi record cleaner m.parigi Analogue Source 4 29th October 2003 09:11 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2