I made myself a record cleaner - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2008, 12:40 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

While I must applaud the ingenuity, I have to offer a voice of caution about the use of alcohol in the cleaning solution.

Ultrasonics are commonly used in laboratories to aid the solvation of substances that are difficult to dissolve. I would fear that the ultrasonic bath might help the alcohol dissolve components of the vinyl.

A little alcohol in a solution used in an Okki Nokki will not do much harm, but it could be very damaging in conjunction with the ultrasonic effect.

I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying - but I would be very nervous about using alcohol in the cleaning solution.
Old 4th April 2008, 02:34 AM   #32
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Beautifully constructed!
For the removable shaft drive, why not cut slots in the outer tube, and fit a short pin in the inner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drive.jpg (17.4 KB, 1907 views)
Old 4th April 2008, 08:19 AM   #33
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Very lovely, Sclalars!

You are doing what I have been wondering about ever since I first saw an ultrasonic cleaner. The problem with that cleaner was that it was used as a degreaser with freon, initially, and later a more environmentally friendly liquid. This setup would have destroyed the vinyl for sure.

Good going. You have me at the edge of my seat
Old 4th April 2008, 01:44 PM   #34
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
While I do love my VPI setup, something that will do multiple records and not sound like a hurricane coming through my apartment would be great.

Keep us updated!

Evan
Old 4th April 2008, 03:20 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying -
Thanks for making that clear. I have used Isoprop in 50% solution to clean records for the last 50 years, and have yet to encounter a record damaged through the solution.
Old 4th April 2008, 03:27 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Quote:
Originally posted by Baxthorpe
While I must applaud the ingenuity, I have to offer a voice of caution about the use of alcohol in the cleaning solution.

Ultrasonics are commonly used in laboratories to aid the solvation of substances that are difficult to dissolve. I would fear that the ultrasonic bath might help the alcohol dissolve components of the vinyl.

A little alcohol in a solution used in an Okki Nokki will not do much harm, but it could be very damaging in conjunction with the ultrasonic effect.

I have no direct evidence to support what I am saying - but I would be very nervous about using alcohol in the cleaning solution.

I am curious to know what makes you nervous about using alcohol if you have no direct evidence? I have a buddy who swears by alcohol pads to clean his albums.
Old 4th April 2008, 04:01 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
Beautifully constructed!
For the removable shaft drive, why not cut slots in the outer tube, and fit a short pin in the inner.
Yesss, that's the the way to do it, or at least something similar. I did try to remove the metal tube, and just made a split in the acrylic tube, and it was a success

Thanx dnsey!
Old 4th April 2008, 04:09 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun
Very lovely, Sclalars!

You are doing what I have been wondering about ever since I first saw an ultrasonic cleaner. The problem with that cleaner was that it was used as a degreaser with freon, initially, and later a more environmentally friendly liquid. This setup would have destroyed the vinyl for sure.

Good going. You have me at the edge of my seat
Thank you Shaun!

Here is my first idea of a washer. A hand turned one:

Would probably work also, and are easy to make.

Click the image to open in full size.

Lars

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th April 2008, 04:21 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut

Thanks for making that clear. I have used Isoprop in 50% solution to clean records for the last 50 years, and have yet to encounter a record damaged through the solution.
Isoprop combined with distilled water is the most common prescription to clean records here in Norway, so I'm not that anxious about this issue.

Lars
Old 4th April 2008, 10:45 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

The mixture is 7 parts of destilled water (or norwegian spring water!), 1 part of alcohol and a little synthetic detergent. Just enough to break up the surface.
After we have heard som concerns about erroding the vinyl, we will do some long term testing to see.
Will you let me do the testing Lars?

Hide this!Advertise here!