Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 03:36 AM   #221
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

kinda late to the original party here...

but to determine the potential damage to the LPs, what I would do is to select a test LP that is of no interest/value for the music, and run it for repeated cycles, like more than 10 and probably up to something like 50.

I'd start with a CLEAN LP, one that maybe has been cleaned or happens to be new or virtually new.

Now note the debris in the tank after 1, 10, 20, 30, N cycles.

Finally collect the total debris.

Inspect the debris under a good microscope to determine the nature of the debris, size and shape. If it is all uniform in terms of color and look it can be presumed to be vinyl. The ultimate test would be to get it into something like a test tube and heat the debris to the melting point of vinyl and see if it indeed congeals into a small blob or not... dirt and dust will not.

To power an ultrasonic element, you probably only need a high power multivibrator circuit. Of course that will not provide variable power, but maybe you don't need that.

Back in the day these things ran off a pair of 811A tubes - I know because I have one...

would be interested to know if anyone runs the test that I suggested and what they find...

_-_-bear
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:39 AM   #222
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
My question is, what should I used for an actual cleaning fluid? I was thinking of using my regular home brew record cleaning fluid (3:1 distilled water to 90% isopropyl alcohol w/ Triton X-100 surfactant). Anybody have any better ideas?
Some have reported using simply water. Table 1 on this page Blue Wave Ultrasonics: Manufacturers of Ultrasonic Cleaning Equipment may give further clues to what can be used.
Old 23rd August 2012, 02:14 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Some have reported using simply water. Table 1 on this page Blue Wave Ultrasonics: Manufacturers of Ultrasonic Cleaning Equipment may give further clues to what can be used.
Thanks. I may just try distilled water with the Triton X-100 surfactant to start with. I only about 10 drops of Triton per gallon of distilled water so waste won't be much of a concern. I just need to think of a way to dry the LPs once cleaned.

Kevin T
Old 26th December 2012, 06:05 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Default My version using the German made Elmasonic P60H

Great posts everyone! Gotta love DIY!

Decided to try my own version using a state of the art German made Elmasonic P60H with both 37 and 80 KHz modes, sweep mode, pulse mode, and an accurate thermostatically controlled heater. Sure it costs more than the cheap 40KHz machines but when i look at what the Audio Desk costs, this is still only a fraction of the cost. Purchased from Tovatech in the US 973-913-9735

Using the Vinyl Stack solution found on Ebay to separate records and protect the labels. Very well made product but fits on a 1/4" spindle only so I am using 1/4" aluminum rod for spindle.

Using a rotisserie to rotate the records < 2RPM.

Made the top frame from 2" aluminum angle brackets.

Holds up to 4 records at a time.

Using distilled water and a few drops of PhotoFlo and JetDry.

Just starting to use it so results are inconclusive so far. However, visually records come out looking cleaner than new and cleaner than after my VPI HW-17F.

Will post more results as i progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03654.jpg (647.1 KB, 289 views)
Old 27th December 2012, 08:33 PM   #225
CT0wens is offline CT0wens  United States
diyAudio Member

Default check out the other thread

Cbachalo -- if you haven't already discovered it -- all the DIY/US/RCM fun has moved over here: My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Old 27th December 2012, 08:47 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Default thanks, have reposted in this other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT0wens View Post
Cbachalo -- if you haven't already discovered it -- all the DIY/US/RCM fun has moved over here: My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Hide this!Advertise here!