I made myself a record cleaner - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2011, 04:45 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

One 1.7 gallon ultrasonic bath bought... I hope to replicate the successes others have had [and now that I registered, I can go look at the attachments!]
Old 30th June 2011, 08:39 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

So, while waiting for the bath to arrive [at which point I can figure out the dimensions needed for everything by trial and error], I got a few bits and pieces: - a 6mm threaded rod for an axle [turns out that is too thin for a record hole - but I can always pad out the part where the records are to go to the correct thickness.

- various bits of wood, to build a support for the axle - some nylon hose joints, conveniently the right size for the rod, to use as bearings (It's not going to be bearing a huge weight, so that should do fine ... and if it doesn't I can fit something better in the future) The only problem now is I'm wondering, how do I drive the thing around?

I was thinking of creating a large outside gear wheel by taking 3 or 4 bargain-bin, very scratched, records and gluing them together, then skimming the edge to make a nice large, flat wheel. Then I'd drive that using a motor with a rubber bush on it. Similar to how the original poster did it, but not as cool looking as I don't happen to have access to lots of nice acrylic How have others solved the drive problem?

Last edited by Pano; 1st July 2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added line breaks
Old 30th June 2011, 10:01 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

... dear Moderator, what happened to all my nice line breaks? [You don't have to post that one up ...]
Old 30th June 2011, 10:33 PM   #204
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,

Not sure to what you are referring. Can you tell us more please?

Hint: Next time hit the report post button which is the red triangle under your name on that particular post. That way all the mods see it.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:25 PM   #205
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

a fascinating thread.

I have a small US CD cleaner, which I have also used to clean various other household items .i.e rings etc. I'm struck at how the items dance around inside in a state of agitation, they are clearly being buffeted by the wave fronts.

I wonder if the LP records , or perhaps a single LP might not rotate gradually on their own if the axle bearings are fine enough and not need any additional mechanism to make them rotate ?
Old 5th March 2012, 03:04 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

As the record is always only partially under water and the wettest part is the heaviest part due to the weight of the water in the grooves it won't rotate by the vibrations in the water alone. And also the direction of the rotation at any time could not be controlled.
Shortly: no.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:12 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Hello guys!
Great project here. I just ordered a EMAG Emmi 60H and a old Nitty Gritty Basic Record cleaner to clean my huge record collection for recording. I will keep you updated on my version of the cleaner. The EMAG is the best cleaner you can get. Made here in Germany with our engineering skills. 350W, your machines only have up to 200W I think (Made in China haha).

Here a datasheet of the successor Emmi 60HC which has minor improvements.

http://www.emag-germany.de/de/produc...0HC.php?page=1

They will also release Emmi 55HC later this year to fill the gap in size between 40HC (too small) and 60HC (too huge for our needs). Watch out for this if you want your this in a few months.

I will keep you updated!

bye

Last edited by Zen5656; 2nd May 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:08 PM   #208
CT0wens is offline CT0wens  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any updates?

It's been sometime since the OP and other brave pioneers completed their designs. Do any of you have any observations or insights after having used your devices over this time? In light of the current rave reviews of the AudioDesk system I suspect this thread will get new traffic. Cheers.
Old 5th June 2012, 07:55 AM   #209
Zoodle is offline Zoodle  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT0wens View Post
It's been sometime since the OP and other brave pioneers completed their designs. Do any of you have any observations or insights after having used your devices over this time? In light of the current rave reviews of the AudioDesk system I suspect this thread will get new traffic. Cheers.
+1. I'd be interested in an update.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:14 PM   #210
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen5656 View Post
Hello guys!
Great project here. I just ordered a EMAG Emmi 60H and a old Nitty Gritty Basic Record cleaner to clean my huge record collection for recording. I will keep you updated on my version of the cleaner. The EMAG is the best cleaner you can get. Made here in Germany with our engineering skills. 350W, your machines only have up to 200W I think (Made in China haha).

Here a datasheet of the successor Emmi 60HC which has minor improvements.

EMAG AG

They will also release Emmi 55HC later this year to fill the gap in size between 40HC (too small) and 60HC (too huge for our needs). Watch out for this if you want your this in a few months.

I will keep you updated!

bye
Hi Zen,

Very interesting to come across this thread, as I have been researching an ultrasonic LP cleaner.

So you think your 60H and its replacement, the 60HC, are a bit too large? Do you have the dimensions of the upcoming 55HC, relative to yours?

And what were the "improvements" which the 60HC had over your 60H?

And how have you built a "rotisserie" to turn the multiple LPs in the bath?

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!