I made myself a record cleaner - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 10:24 PM   #101
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ianmac -

I'm considering buying one of these cleaners: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=290305926669
I'm wondering if this would be big enough or whether I need the 6 litre size. How big is the one you are using?

I hope you can post a picture - Where it says 'Attach file' at the bottom of the page you just click on 'Choose File' and then select your jpg or whatever.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:51 AM   #102
TURBINE is offline TURBINE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, i am located in Canada and i have started building a ultrasonic record cleaner. Ordered the ultrasonic unit today and thought i would share a good source for motors for the rotation of the albums. They are available in rpms from 1 -300 and only cost $25 US. http://www.servocity.com/html/3-12v_gear_motors.html

I will be using the ultrasonic for cleaning then a Loricraft type record cleaner for drying.
Todd
Old 30th March 2009, 10:24 AM   #103
Ianmac is offline Ianmac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Jonners
The ebay cleaner is the one I purchased.(offered 150 eventually dealt @160) It is just large enough. The data sheet says the dish depth is 100mm when it is actually only 96. so there is not much headroom . Remember to make allowances for differences in record size and off centre holes . I had to allow 2mm.
Have tried attached some photos but my file size is too large. Using the lowest resolution I can get via photoshop.
Will retake photos at my cameras lowesr res and try again

Ianmac
Old 30th March 2009, 09:31 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Jonners
Sorry I havent loaded any photos, I cant get the file sizes down below the 100kb limit. Still trying, used the lowest res I have on the camera and the lowest Jpeg encoding in Photoshop and I'm still at 300kb
If you email me with your address I can send you them

Ianmac
Old 30th March 2009, 09:57 PM   #105
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ianmac -

Thanks for your replies, and for trying with the photos. On my Mac I can reduce the size easily in Preview. There's a way of displaying larger files here if they are hosted elsewhere, I believe.
Anyway, I'll send you my email.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:17 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ianmac
Jonners
The ebay cleaner is the one I purchased.(offered 150 eventually dealt @160) It is just large enough. The data sheet says the dish depth is 100mm when it is actually only 96. so there is not much headroom . Remember to make allowances for differences in record size and off centre holes . I had to allow 2mm.
Have tried attached some photos but my file size is too large. Using the lowest resolution I can get via photoshop.
Will retake photos at my cameras lowesr res and try again

Ianmac
Hello Ianmac!
Try this free site. Here you can downsize your pictures to whatever size you prefer. http://photobucket.com/
You can also copy a direct link to your pictures and use the IMG button on top here. Very simpel.
I have used this site for several years, and are very satisfied with it.

regards
Lars
Old 31st March 2009, 06:34 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Have cracked photoshop and now have small picture files.

This shows the cleaner on the parked position for loading or unloading
Ianmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize loading.jpg (81.7 KB, 1572 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 06:38 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

This shows the rear non works view.You can see I have attached my unit to the cleaner using two of the original screws on the base and a clamp type fitting on the top.

The mechanism is telescopic . The blue plastic tube is the fixed outer and the Aluminiun bar holding the motor unit slides inside it.

Ianmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize rearblind.jpg (70.7 KB, 1503 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 06:43 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

This shot shows the works. I have used a rear ballrace and a front ballrace for the spindle to avoid making support for the front and to give me the flexibility I think I need. The motor is a standard product from Farnell as are the 2 pulleys and belt.

I have the motor running at 1.5 rpm with the pulleys getting me close to 1 rpm. Supply is 5Vat 200ma.

Ianmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizeworks.jpg (69.6 KB, 1480 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 06:49 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

This shows the parked for storage position. The drive unit can be completely removed by lifting it out of the fixed blue tube and the cleaner used for other purposes.

It is working well .I could do with some advice as to cleaning durations /speed rpm??

Anything one can put in the cleaning mix to reduce the effects of static??

Thanks to all for the encouragement to get this project moving and almost completion
All I need now is a spin drier.

Ianmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizeparked..jpg (79.6 KB, 1446 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!