DIY AC motor control - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2008, 10:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a kit available which does what you want but it isn't easy to build.
Would your kit also work with papst motors found in Empire turntables?
Old 26th March 2008, 11:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Not to hijack but Mark Kelly do you have an email address or anything? There isn't one on your website or anything a bit frustrating.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I normally have an ad on the classifieds at Audio Asylum but I have withdrawn it whilst I am busy with vintage.

It will be back up when my workload reduces to sane levels - I expect that to be sometime in late April. I have 42 wines actively fermenting at the moment so I'm as busy as a fly in a bottle.

I don't broadcast my email address due to spambots.
Old 27th March 2008, 01:45 PM   #14
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
I built a power supply using two crystals. It works really well. It is speed stable and provides great base control in the music.

I can not remember the actual values of the crystals at the moment but if you want to build this type of supply I will take off the top cover and check the crystals values.

Don
Old 27th March 2008, 02:17 PM   #15
karvid is offline karvid  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AMV8
Hi
I built a power supply using two crystals. It works really well. It is speed stable and provides great base control in the music.

I can not remember the actual values of the crystals at the moment but if you want to build this type of supply I will take off the top cover and check the crystals values.

Don

Thanks AMV8,
have you got any diagram showing the complete PSU?

Old 27th March 2008, 02:24 PM   #16
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

karvid

I do - somewhere. But I built this some 10 years ago and I will have to look for it.

Actually I built two and they are still in use on rock turntables. The change they made when fitted was probably the biggest change I have heard form any improvement I made to the turntable.

I live near Max Townshwnd who designed the deck and he agreed that ac speed control does make a great difference.

Don
Old 27th March 2008, 03:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
karvid

I do - somewhere. But I built this some 10 years ago and I will have to look for it.

Actually I built two and they are still in use on rock turntables. The change they made when fitted was probably the biggest change I have heard form any improvement I made to the turntable.

I live near Max Townshwnd who designed the deck and he agreed that ac speed control does make a great difference.

Don
Thanks,
I really appreciate your help.

//Kenneth
Old 27th March 2008, 05:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Don
I have a Rock in storage (vinyl is out for the time being) as well as the Merlin PS for it. Makes a difference. Terrific TT too.

I also have a 240V rim drive design I want a PS for and Mark's solutions are tpically well thought out, so I'm interested in that rather than merely cloning the Merlin.
Old 27th March 2008, 07:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I have a Rock in storage (vinyl is out for the time being) as well as the Merlin PS for it. Makes a difference. Terrific TT too.

I also have a 240V rim drive design I want a PS for and Mark's solutions are tpically well thought out, so I'm interested in that rather than merely cloning the Merlin.

I have two TT's I want to try with a precision PS.
The first one is an Thorens 160 Super:
Click the image to open in full size.

and the second is an Opus Continuo. An 23 kg heavy player with AudioCraft tonearm:
Old 27th March 2008, 07:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Mark was just mostly wondering if you still sell these kits? Well obviously you do the AC but was also wondering about the DC control you have on your site if you still sell that kit. I'm interested in them. I haven't decided if I want an AC or DC motor yet though.

Hide this!Advertise here!