good place to buy acrylic for DIY TT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2003, 03:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question good place to buy acrylic for DIY TT

Hello all!!! This is my first posting. I've been intently reading all the DIY TT threads, and the thought of making my own TT seems HELLACOOL I need a little help in finding a good place to buy acrylic. Is it all the same? (quality, density, etc) Also how do you samich metal (ie aluminum, stainless) to plastic for a platter? Glue?Screws? Sheer will? thanks for any help

BEER
Old 1st March 2003, 05:43 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

McMaster-Carr has all. So does TAP Plastics. There are a lot of grades of acrylic available, both filled and unfilled. Horses for courses- there is no "best," only good and bad choices for specific applications and design tradeoffs.

There are a lot of options for metal-to-plastic attachment. Screws, certainly (though one has to be mindful of torque and design in a way of spreading out the force). Adhesives, too- being careful to allow enough compliance to not have failure from mismatch of thermal expansion.
Old 20th March 2003, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Acrylic material selection

I highly recommend CAST Acrylic Sheet. That is what I use in my machining projects. Look for Lucite L Cast Acrylic sheet. If you have never worked with Acrylic, be careful, do not drill pilot holes and then chase them with larger drills unless you have the work held down securely, otherwise it will suck up and cause you injury. Acrylic will also crack if you don't have a good method of drilling. It saws easily and machines well, but you must have a good process in mind before starting the project. Good luck!
Old 20th March 2003, 02:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Acrylic material selection

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyl-Addict
I highly recommend CAST Acrylic Sheet. That is what I use in my machining projects. Look for Lucite L Cast Acrylic sheet. If you have never worked with Acrylic, be careful, do not drill pilot holes and then chase them with larger drills unless you have the work held down securely, otherwise it will suck up and cause you injury. Acrylic will also crack if you don't have a good method of drilling. It saws easily and machines well, but you must have a good process in mind before starting the project. Good luck!
Any recommendation on drilling speed and lubricants if any? Sometimes I got chipped edge on a hole, but usually it's fine.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th March 2003, 08:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Drilling speeds/methods

Quote:
Any recommendation on drilling speed and lubricants if any? Sometimes I got chipped edge on a hole, but usually it's fine.
I would perform a search on google to find specific speeds for drilling since I only deal in SFM to calculate drilling speeds and feeds on CNC equipment. I also use water soluble coolant when drilling/machining all plastics and metals.

Are you doing this project in a garage and using hand tools?

1 important thing that will help you obtain good entry and prevent chipping when the drill goes through the workpiece is to place a plate underneath the piece you are drilling. That will support the acrylic when the drill breaks through the other side and prevent chipping. Also, do not drill a small pilot hole and then chase it with a larger hole. You will chip the material as well as risk the drill sucking into the work. Good drill point geometry for the drill should be between 60 & 90 degrees. Finally, always make sure you have a sharp tool.
Old 20th March 2003, 09:33 PM   #6
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

I just got done making some pieces of equipment with acrylic. After drilling and before glueing remember to anneal the part with a heatgun. ~50-60 C should do it.
Old 20th March 2003, 10:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default here is a link

Here are links with some info on working with Acrylic.
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/acrylic.htm
http://www.plaskolite.com/fabguide/pg08.pdf
Old 13th April 2003, 06:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If anyone cares on my input here......LEXAN is the best acrylic to work with....it can be machined,threaded,formed and the stuff is bullet proof...I currently buy it for my designs at 200CAN for a 4X8 sheet...I have done pretty much everything with this product....nice thing about it also is it comes with a peel off plastic backing so it does not get scratched....it also comes in different tints as well as clear...the trademark is owned by 3M but there are other manufactures that have a similar product

Cheers!!The DIRT®
Old 14th April 2003, 12:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Default LEXAN.

Hi,

Oh, yes...almost forgot about Lexan.

Excellent idea.

Thank you for the reminder.

Cheers,
Old 14th April 2003, 01:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I didn't check it myself, but acrylic probably has better damping properties and sounds better than Lexan. You can even feel the difference when handling both. Here's my recent baffles, machined out of 2" acrylic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acr.jpg (79.8 KB, 1092 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!