Re: Linn Cirkus bearing set - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2008, 06:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I did a search and came up with Vinylengine and a history of the LP12 and it states that the glued subchassis came into being in the late seventies, well before the Cirkus mod. It also states that the Cirkus bearing is different. The housing has a larger flange and takes larger bolts. The bearings themselves are spaced differently and that the subchassis is made from thicker metal. I can only conclude from this that the Cirkus mod is the whole thing, ie, the inner platter, bearing and subchassis.

Si.
Old 1st March 2008, 02:23 PM   #12
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What Harwoodspark states is completely correct. At one time I was a Linn dealer and the glued chassis came out a long time before the Circus kit. The only difference between the Circus chassis and the prior glued chassis is that the metal at the point where the bearing bolts is double thickness; prior to this a small area of the chassis brace was cut away where the bearing fits. The three bolts that hold the main bearing in place are slightly larger on the Circus though this mod was introduced to main bearings a little before the circus. All linn bearings bolt to the chassis from below; the bolt heads are on the top surface of the chassis and the bearing flange fits under the chassis.
Old 3rd March 2008, 03:41 AM   #13
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harwoodspark
the Cirkus bearing is different. The housing has a larger flange and takes larger bolts. The bearings themselves are spaced differently and that the subchassis is made from thicker metal. I can only conclude from this that the Cirkus mod is the whole thing, ie, the inner platter, bearing and subchassis.

Si.

Yup, "Cirkus" is Bearing, subplatter, subchassis, armboard and 2 belts.
I think the general concensus is though that though the new bearing perhaps is the most memorable from the marketing effort, it is actually the sub chassis changes that make the big sonic difference. Looking at just about any Linn (without a Keel) the most obvious glaring "low performance" part is the subchassis and lossy coupling to the armboard.

Hide this!Advertise here!