Fitting of Denon DL103 on ProJect Xpression II - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2008, 12:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Fitting of Denon DL103 on ProJect Xpression II

Hello,

I have mounted the famous DL103 to my Project Xpression II turntable.

I have adjusted everything and regulated the cartridge and the VTA height. I have also had to replace the counterweight with a heavier - 75g - to accommodate the heaver cartridge.

I have not placed the anti-skating weight because I think it is too heavy and doubt that it is needed - could this be true? When attached, in compliance to the ProJect book (the third grove in the stub), it pulls the tone arm very quickly towards the armrest. I don't want to risk so I have left this off.

I had initially installed correctly the Ortofon 510 with no problems before however...

Thank you for the suggestions... waiting for reply.

MV
Old 29th January 2008, 11:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why don't you try the antiskating weight on the first groove(closer to the bearings) and see if it works better?I think it is better to use some antiskating with the 2.5gr tracking force of the 103
Old 29th January 2008, 02:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello and thanks,

If I place the a-s weight it pulls away the tonearm - at all settings.

The tonearm is not made for this cartridge. The tonearm's mass is only 8,5 gramms. I have placed a small 2,2g weight on the head. It plays well. I don't have a scale to measure the wieght.

So for now no anti-skate (the small weight is too much). It sounds much better than the 510II.

Regards,
MV
Old 31st January 2008, 03:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,what you say sounds a bit strange.If the antiskating weight worked ok wit the ortofon,it does not make sense not to work with the Denon,especially when you say it pulls the Denon towards the armrest.If anything this should happen with the ortofon.I suspect that the tracking force you applied on the Denon is too low.This is the only reason why the arm is pulled towards the armrest.
And surely the 103 should sound better than the 510!!!
Old 1st February 2008, 02:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Panicos and thank you for the advice.

I have also changed the counter weight of the tonearm to 75g... and with this additional weight the anti-skating weight still pulls the tonearm with decision.

Would you suggest placing more weight in some place (perhaps on the tonearm)?

The combination sounds much better but I am not sure if I have maximised the potential.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The Denon needs a 2.5gr. tracking force.Maybe this is ehere the problem is.Perhaps if you can find a tracking force scale it will be easy to see if you have the correct one.Doesn't the project tonearm have a counterweight with numbers on?
Old 3rd February 2008, 09:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, the ProJect has the numbers but when they are correct it sounds horrible. I made some combinations until it sounds very good. I can conclude that this tonearm is made for lighter and less tracking force cartridges.

The scale is a great idea but I cannot find somebody from who to hire one.
Old 7th February 2008, 01:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ortofon have a very cheap (AU$8.64 about 5.27) stylus balance which should be available from most Ortofon dealers - see http://www.speakerbits.com/images/pr...large/OASG.jpg . It is also available direct from the Australian distributor, Speakerbits, at http://www.speakerbits.com/Default.a...upage=140&pi=1 . I have one that came with an Ortofon cartridge I bought once, and it works really well. It is calibrated in milliNewtons, but as 10 mN equals 1 gram, it is easy to convert.

-Don
Old 7th February 2008, 03:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to planarboy
Default Re: Fitting of Denon DL103 on ProJect Xpression II

Quote:
Originally posted by mavallarino
When attached, in compliance to the ProJect book (the third grove in the stub), it pulls the tone arm very quickly towards the armrest.

MV
when I rewired my rb300 i had the wire too tight in the tube and that pulled the arm back, lucky for me i had enough wire at cart end to stuff back down the pipe and loosen it up a little.
Same problem maybe?
Old 8th April 2008, 05:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The original 103 has a spheric stylus and was made for heavy arms . With heavy wight arms and 2.5 gr or more Tracking weight you can forget the antiskating almost .
The project arm is medium mass , so you may add mor weight on top of the cartridge and aheavier counterweight .

Hide this!Advertise here!