Fitting of Denon DL103 on ProJect Xpression II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have mounted the famous DL103 to my Project Xpression II turntable.

I have adjusted everything and regulated the cartridge and the VTA height. I have also had to replace the counterweight with a heavier - 75g - to accommodate the heaver cartridge.

I have not placed the anti-skating weight because I think it is too heavy and doubt that it is needed - could this be true? When attached, in compliance to the ProJect book (the third grove in the stub), it pulls the tone arm very quickly towards the armrest. I don't want to risk so I have left this off.

I had initially installed correctly the Ortofon 510 with no problems before however...

Thank you for the suggestions... waiting for reply.

MV

Hello and thanks,

If I place the a-s weight it pulls away the tonearm - at all settings.

The tonearm is not made for this cartridge. The tonearm's mass is only 8,5 gramms. I have placed a small 2,2g weight on the head. It plays well. I don't have a scale to measure the wieght.

So for now no anti-skate (the small weight is too much). It sounds much better than the 510II.

Regards,
MV

Hi,what you say sounds a bit strange.If the antiskating weight worked ok wit the ortofon,it does not make sense not to work with the Denon,especially when you say it pulls the Denon towards the armrest.If anything this should happen with the ortofon.I suspect that the tracking force you applied on the Denon is too low.This is the only reason why the arm is pulled towards the armrest.
And surely the 103 should sound better than the 510!!!

Hello Panicos and thank you for the advice.

I have also changed the counter weight of the tonearm to 75g... and with this additional weight the anti-skating weight still pulls the tonearm with decision.

Would you suggest placing more weight in some place (perhaps on the tonearm)?

The combination sounds much better but I am not sure if I have maximised the potential.

Yes, the ProJect has the numbers but when they are correct it sounds horrible. I made some combinations until it sounds very good. I can conclude that this tonearm is made for lighter and less tracking force cartridges.

The scale is a great idea but I cannot find somebody from who to hire one.

Ortofon have a very cheap (AU$8.64 – about €5.27) stylus balance which should be available from most Ortofon dealers - see http://www.speakerbits.com/images/product-large/OASG.jpg . It is also available direct from the Australian distributor, Speakerbits, at http://www.speakerbits.com/Default.aspx?menupage=140&pi=1 . I have one that came with an Ortofon cartridge I bought once, and it works really well. It is calibrated in milliNewtons, but as 10 mN equals 1 gram, it is easy to convert.

-Don

mavallarino said:
When attached, in compliance to the ProJect book (the third grove in the stub), it pulls the tone arm very quickly towards the armrest.

MV
when I rewired my rb300 i had the wire too tight in the tube and that pulled the arm back, lucky for me i had enough wire at cart end to stuff back down the pipe and loosen it up a little.
Same problem maybe?

Thanks Groove-T. Infact I have placed a small euro pence piece on the cart. It works great and sounds very well also. I have adjusted everything by ear so nothing has been mechanically verified.

BTW: the Xpression arm is very light, not medium unless 8 gramms is perceived "medium" to somebody. Without the pence on top the cart skips and plays the same track repetitively.

Thanks to all again,
MV

Hello all,
I only wanted to update everyone regarding the Xpression II turntable.

The stock motor is horrible. I changed this with a simple Project external motor and it works much better and the bass is rightly improved.

I've also changed the stock platter to the plexy platter. I can't manage to tell the difference but I would say with the Mitchel clamp the bass has become subjectively tighter.

Anyway, that's all for now. Happy listening.
MV

Ps. any ideas for a DIY reference-quality RIAA phono?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.