TT bearing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2008, 05:23 AM   #1
wuffer is offline wuffer  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default TT bearing

Im going to make my own TT in the future and the bearing is the only thing i havent got a clue about.
I dont want to make one.
The only one i know of is the one teres audio have.
the plint is going to be heavy but the plasser is going to be around 5kg i guess
What options do i have??
Old 27th January 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Teres or Scheu ??

GD
Old 28th January 2008, 02:49 AM   #3
paudux is offline paudux  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I made my TT using a VPI inverted bearing, they sell them as upgrades to their TT's, there are a couple of options and good value.

Cheers
Old 28th January 2008, 04:41 AM   #4
wuffer is offline wuffer  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks..
I have looked around and found bearing and platter from bix turntable. Any thoughts on that?? Not the same quality as the scheu and teres but is it ok for a first time turntable??
Old 28th January 2008, 01:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm planning on using a Rega bearing- apparantly they are quite easy and cheap to buy from Rega dealers (I have heard figures of around 20-25UKP).

James
Old 28th January 2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default paudux, where do you get the VPI?

seems like they want to sell you a platter and bearing. Do you have a link to where one could buy them separately

thanks

stew
Old 28th January 2008, 09:45 PM   #7
paudux is offline paudux  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default paudux, where do you get the VPI?

I purchased them together wth a view to one day removing the platter, however it works now and I need to rationalize my projects so maybe in a years time.

Cheers
Old 1st February 2008, 02:52 AM   #8
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Wuffer,

You say this is for a first time turntable. That infers that this is not to be the last. I personally try to not cut any corners that I may think about later and say "Hmmmm how much better would it sound with that other bearing?". Just my 2 cents. Get a bearing that you know is worthy of your labor.

With that I know nothing of the BIX and how good it is.
Old 1st February 2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Well, all good advice, but which bearing is considered the best out there?

Magura
Old 1st February 2008, 02:26 PM   #10
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

That is a good question. In fact it is one that I have been looking for the answer to for quite some time. I think in the end I will end up making my own. McMaster Carr sells high tolerance polished rod that make a perfect starting point. From there I have access to grinding equipment that I can use to make a bore as needed. I will probably go with an inverted bearing with a teflon pad and a ceramic bearing. Cut grooves in the ground rod for oil lifting. Is there anything much more? I don't know.

I still don't really know how tight the fit should be. Tight enough for minimal play and a wide enough gap for oil to be able to lubricate. .0005" gap? Beats me. I always look at the Teres bearing and think that it is a very solid design and a great compromise in terms of an inverted style bearing without the hassle of the oil grooves and oil bath.

Of course the issue with the design I laid out is access to the machines and expertise to make it well. I am fortunate and have access to the machines and someone who knows them well enough to keep my from making a hash of it. I am also fortunate to have had someone at work mistakenly order an piece of 6" X 12" X 12" black Delrin. That should make the best platter money can buy. I believe the material was $300. Delrin is often used as a replacement for metal parts when weight is an issue. Sounds like the next best thing to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!