Please review my design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2008, 06:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please review my design

Gents,

I am getting to build this beast. It is a cross between a Teres and a Redpoint turntable using a Teres Bearing. It will be machined from solid aluminum billets and filled with lead shot and silocone fluid for damping. The arm pod will be set for an SME IV tone arm. I have the aluminum and want to get started milling it. Could you have a look and let me know it you see anything obviously wrong. I don't want to ruin $500 of aluminum so let me have it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th January 2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default yup, it's big and fugly...

a couple of difference in opinion...cosmetics aside.

lightweight plinth for minimal energy storage (and more uniform energy release, cause it has to go somewhere). Heavy weight plinth for a "brute force " approach to dampening. (and more random energy release at sometimes the wrong times).

Personally I like a homogenous material for platters, all teflon, all acrylic, all aluminium...

I think the bearing, if drawn correctly looks to be a non-inverted type. This may help create a significant amount of friction. Consider an inverted bearing (which I believe the Teres is/was), with the pivot above the centre of gravity of the platter.

just a couple of thoughts.

stew

PS: I can't build a damn thing, but you did ask for an opinion
oh, have a look at this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0100_sml.jpg (66.7 KB, 925 views)
Old 18th January 2008, 06:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default and another pix

nt
Attached Images
File Type: gif 100_0104-sml.gif (79.8 KB, 830 views)
Old 18th January 2008, 10:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Teres bearing is non-inverted.

Your design looks good and is fairly close to the Teres idea, just in alu instead of cocobolo. I think ?? that redpoint might have some kind of system where you can tighten the screws down through the teflon into the platter and that that adjusts the sound? I could be wrong on that.

Are you going to have a simple weight or a screw down clamp? Are you going to dish the platter slightly to allow for that, and the contact between LP and platter?

No. 9 lead shot I believe is the one to go for.

What are you going to use for a motor and controller?

Do please allow yourself a second arm pod - even if you have no plans for it right away, its going to be much cheaper to make it now rather than later. Just leave a blank plate on the top that you could drill out later to suit a different arm.

I know I've fired a lot of Q's back to you, but I think you should decide these things now and get them sorted before the platter comes off the lathe.

Fran
Old 18th January 2008, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input Fran and Stew. I will be using a Teres Clamp so the teflon will stand proud of the platter by .060" creating the same size dish as the Teres. I called Redpoint and they said that their screw pattern is just set to maximize flattness when the teflon is attached to the table. He also didn't know any adjustments of the screws for sound. I am using Mark Kelly's controller with the same motor as Teres from the recent group buy. Stew, #9 shot it will be. Keep them coming gents.
Old 18th January 2008, 08:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Teres Bearing...

sorry for the error. I've been concentrating on fixing the the turntable in the pix I posted. It definitely needs an inverted bearing.

Regardless I still like inverted bearings, although perhaps a little more difficult to make or get, because you need to feed the bearing some lubricant, and be able to collect it in a well....

I still like traditional looking turntables, so cosmetics aside, the rest opf your design looks good.

woodturner suggested the #9 shot, not I.

A very interesting project. Once it comes to fruition, I am sure it will sound very good.

stew
Old 18th January 2008, 09:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd keep the "right way up" bearing (I can't see any benefit in an inverted bearing and there are at least two significant downsides). I would however try to get further separation between the upper and lower radial load surfaces, or reduce the side thrust, or both. Take a look at what Dave Garretson has been doing with idler pulleys to reduce side thrust, it's quite interesting (Dave posts on VA).

Why Teflon? What benefits do you think it has? I can't see any apart from it being very "dead" but I question why you would need that much deadening.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

BTW, the Teres bearing kinda simulates an inverted type because it goes right up inside the platter, ie the whole actual bearing sits on the plinth with a big threaded stub underneath that holds it to the plinth.

The DIY teres controller should do the trick nicely - although the teres trick of a LED sensor to control speed is very nice indeed.

I think you're pretty much there to be honest. If the teflon sounds horrible, you could always get someone to turn some cocobolo into a disc that would fit in place of the teflon and it might liven up the sound a bit.

Both pods will sit on the table free of the plinth, right? Allow a way at the bottom of both to adjust the level (3 adjustable feet - i used 3 M6 grub screws with some rubber material melted into the allen head - which give s a firm grip on the surface). You will need this to get the tape you will be using to drive the motor to ride level. Likewise for the arm - more things that are adjustable the easier it gets!

Other than that I just can't see anything. Of course there is always an element of risk in DIY!!

PS, please don't make the outside of the platter a polygonal shape like either redpoint or galibier - IMHO thats horrible.

Can you get the alu anodised?

Fran
Old 18th January 2008, 11:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just to be clear, the DIY controller has nothing to do with the Teres design other than the use of a Maxon DC motor.

It does not use a servo loop like the Teres does so it does not suffer from the dynamic wow problems associated with slow servo loops. On the other hand it has no correction for thermal drift, so the long term speed stability is not as good.
Old 19th January 2008, 12:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I knew that, but its good to be clear! I think thats what algar-emi called the group buy so thats why I went there.

A friend of mine actually was in on that group buy - I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in the end.

Kilwattski: do you have the machining capability for this yourself or are you going to your local friendly machinist? Did you manage to get one billet of alu big enough for the platter, or are you making it up of a number of discs? What way are you going to have the holes for the lead shot done ie sealing them afterward?

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!