The electronically controlled AEG G 020 motor - is it good for a DIY turntable? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The electronically controlled AEG G 020 motor - is it good for a DIY turntable?

Hello!

I'd like to know if anyone knows, or (by the way...) ever tried, the electronically controlled AEG G 020 motor in a DIY turntable? This is intended to have a 7,5V power supply, the rest you may see in the photo...

Thanks in advance, cheers, WT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aeg g 020 motor c.jpg (58.6 KB, 468 views)
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Yes it will work - why not?

Where did you salvage it from? Tape machine?

GD
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi there!

I've got a couple of these motors, one still vacuum-sealed in the original package. Although these were made in Germany, they were purchased in France by a friend of my late father, who tried it using a DC6V supply as well.

I have no idea about what my father had in mind when purchasing these motors (but yes, he was a passionate about tape recorders and I still do not know what to do with a huge tape recorder collection, of every sizes and shapes... :-).

This motor model connects to the control board by nothing less than 12 wires, even thought three of them are linked together.

I'm attaching an image of the included schematics.

Greetings from Portugal, JPB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aeg g 020 motor d.jpg (86.2 KB, 308 views)
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well,

Its seems the motor has some kind of feedback circuit - probably for load compensation.

Give it a try on a turntable! Mount the motor in a stainless steel bell-like enclosure and use a piece of silk thread to drive the platter. Please do report.

Best of luck!

GD
Old 3rd February 2008, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, GD!

Yes, I intend to give it a try in the future, but for that I've to get a Scheu platter and bearing first (or any similar combo).

I'll retain the motor I first pictured, and will sell the sealed one (see attached photo) if I'll get any sensible offer...

Cheers, JPB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aeg g 020 motor e.jpg (99.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello once again,

In the meantime the packed/sealed unit was sold to a member of this forum.

So I'm still retaining the one that was tested, although at this moment I'm not sure about when or on what project may I use it...

Cheers, JPB
Old 27th November 2013, 06:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello waretweaker,
Do you still keep the motor? Is it intended for a turntable or tape recorder?

Jeko
Old 27th November 2013, 08:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It is a vintage motor, last years of 60's, with germanium transistors on the controller.
The firts generation of brushless motors with Hall effect switches.
The Braun PS-600 turntable, idler drive, is motorized with the same kind of motor.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It does not seem to have Hall effect sensors. Just windings if I am not mistaken.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes. It has three drive coils and three sensor coils, each connected separately to the controller, hence the 12 connections (though the bottom ends of the three sensor coils are commoned, so it only needed to be ten.)

Hide this!Advertise here!