Joining audio-tape turntable belts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd be interested to hear about peoples experiences with various methods.

Using a 45-60° join, I've tried;

- a butted joint, with a splice of (clear) pressure-sensitive (parcel) tape on the outside, cut at a similar angle, the splicing tape trimmed to width with a razor blade.

- an overlapped joint using adhesive - clear nail-varnish or 'bostik household adhesive'.

If I can get the coat of adhesive thin and uniform enough, the second method seems to give the closest to an 'endless' tape belt.

Anyone tried other ways of doing this?

Thanks.

edit >> By 'audio-tape', I'm referring to cassette or 1/4", but I know some exponants use wider stuff, such as VHS tape. Personally I don't think that's good idea (except, maybe, with very precisely machined and really massive platters and bearings), but I'm willing to be disabused of my prejudice!

woodturner-fran said:
i use some 1/4" leader tape for my belt. I just used some ordinary sellotape to join it, butt joint and the sellotape on the outside.

I nearly bought a reel of 1/4" leader from ebay for the purpose, mainly for aesthetics - I thought clear/coloured belt would look cool on My Rock's ally sub-platter.

I did read that someone had a problem with static build-up with leader-tape (but not audio tape, which is mylar/polyester), and that either the motor-pulley or sub-platter (assuming either or both are metal) needed to be earthed.

Have you found anything like this?

I haven't had that problem with mine, but I do know the Teres bearing has an earth lead fitted for just that reason. My platter is wood so that may also play a part in this.

I could use 1/2" tape with the pulley I have, but I tried some VHS tape but it rustled like mad as it ran. Teres do a 1/2" mylar, so I reckon that would be the best one to use.

I must go and pick up some of it.

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.