2 cartridges, one phono input question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have completed my DIY TT which features 2 arms
the main is fitted with a Sumiko BP II, the second I have the option to use one of my current low output cartridges, denon 103 or azden forgot-the-code :D

my current receiver has ONLY one phono input :xeye:

I read somewhere that using a Y cable on the phono and connecting 2 different cartridges at the same time, the phono "sees" both and therefore, impedance, capacitance values are different :bawling:

any suggestion fr a solution other that connecting and disconnecting the cable of each arm every time I want to change arm in use??

Any suggestion will be warmly apreciated....

NB
I'm not willing to change receiver

Disconnecting is the best sounding solution. You may build a separate box between the TT and receiver where a switch or relays will do the switching but making this box transparent at MC level is neither easy nor cheap. The only really good solution is to use two separate phono stages.

Isn't the BP2 a high output cart?

If so you'll need more step-up for the LOMC anyway. One suggestion would be to build yourself a standalone phono to suit the LOMC and plug it into one of the auxiliary inputs on the receiver.

It seems to me that this solves both problems at minimal expense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.