Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Linear tracking tonearm vs. Pivoting tonearm

Hello, I have recently spotted a Phase Linear 8000 linear tracking turntable at a flea market. I believe that I can purchase it for less than $100. I currently own a Technics SL1400mk2, a Sony PS-X70, and an AR XB with a JH labs Formula IV tonearm. I have read that the Linear tracking tonearm eliminates tracking error and is lower mass. I also have read that linear tracking tonearms are not better than pivoting tonearms. Any thoughts about The Phase Linear turntable? Thoughts about the benifits of either type of tonearm? How do you choose a suitable cartridge for the Phase Linear or any other turntable. Most dealers don't let customers audition cartridges and send them back.
Old 4th November 2007, 10:49 PM   #2
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
Hi, I believe it is a Pioneer PL-L1000 in a different color, and more information can be found here - http://www.vinylengine.com/library_m...model=PL-L1000

I favor linear tracking arms and have owned Eminent Technologies model 2.5 and currently own Model 2.0 as well as a Clearaudio Tangent arm.

Between pivot and linear tracking, I would say it is much like religion. It depends on what you believe and prefer. I've setup a variety of pivoted arms, such as JMW, Kuzma, Satisfy, Unify, Rega in addition to my own, and every arm has their own unique requirements.

I also own a JVC QL-Y66F which is pivoted and servo-controlled. Because of its design, setting it up is versy easy as well.

Your arm can take a cart from 4g to 24g.

Enjoy!

Hide this!Advertise here!