step up transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2007, 03:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default step up transformers

HI,
I have a high output MC cartridge (2.5mV) that front the analog end to my low watt system (i am new to analog). It is driving a good pre which feeds a Pass ZV9 and a pair of high efficiency speakers.
I need to add some gain to this chain and my understanding is that i can do that through a pre-phono amp. I have recently stumbled across MC step up transformers and i was wondering if it would be possible to substitute a transformer for the pre-phono.
I don't need much gain (because of the MC's high output) and i thought if i could avoid adding another "active" stage in terms of a RIAA stage this would be a good thing.
Would someone mind enlightening me about step up transformers and whether this might be a good application?

Thanks
Neil
Old 4th November 2007, 12:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Neil,

I've never ventured into MC carts, as I'm not ready to jump down that rabbit hole. But I did want to say that your site has some great pictures of some very well done diy equipment.

Doug
Old 4th November 2007, 12:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Doug,

Perhaps if i ever figure out this MC thing i might be able to add a few other projects
Old 5th November 2007, 01:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

do you have more information on your cartridge?

what make is it?

dave
Old 5th November 2007, 03:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sumiko Blackbird
Old 6th November 2007, 12:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

the blackbird has an internal impedance of 135 ohms which is high by most SUT standards. You might have good luck with some of the current or vintage line transfomers that have 120-150 ohm primary configurations.

dave
Old 8th November 2007, 11:19 PM   #7
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

I would check out the K and K discussion board on audioasylum.com

They are the importers of Lundahl transformers who make excellent step-up trannies for low output moving coil carts. (In fact I just bought a pair of the 9206 transformers for my new Zucable modified dl-103)

The k and k website has a ton of great info on this subject.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nate
I would check out the K and K discussion board on audioasylum.com

They are the importers of Lundahl transformers who make excellent step-up trannies for low output moving coil carts. (In fact I just bought a pair of the 9206 transformers for my new Zucable modified dl-103)

The k and k website has a ton of great info on this subject.
I agree, and they sound good too!
Old 9th November 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Typically phono pre-amps provide for frequency equalization as well as gain.
By removing the phono amp section I am also removing frequency equalization by feeding into my pre directly from the transformers; or does the pre amp also provide frequency equalization.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:41 AM   #10
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

You still need frequency correction (RIAA correction).

How a my MC analog front end works is that I have a low output mc cart (0.4mV) that is connected to a step-up transformer and then to a moving magnet phonostage with about 38db of gain. The other alternative is to use a MC phonostage alone with higher gain (50db or so). MC phonostages have different resistor loading than MM stages. MC is lowish generally from 10ohms up into the hundreds. I have my MC phonostage set for a cartridge loading of 100ohms. MMs typically have 47kOhms.

Your cartridge has tremendous gain for a MC cart.... I'm actually suprised that you are lacking for gain. Can you please give us a rundown of your whole system???

Nate

Hide this!Advertise here!