Does anybody still play music cassettes? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2013, 07:31 PM   #31
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Can be same diameter, but different size flywheels/clutch/motor-arrangement, or dissimilar... google some Nakamichi-brochures...

Arne K
Old 24th April 2013, 07:33 PM   #32
x-pro is offline x-pro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Here comes my next question: how does a dual capstan transport work? I can't imagine exactly the same diameter and exactly the same rotation speed of the two capstans. A very-very tiny difference must exist due to mechanical tolerances. This should lead to overly tight or loose tape between the capstans over time. Or am I wrong?
There are two most common types of dual capstan transports, let's call these "Non-slipping" and "Slipping".

The first type is common in R2R decks, the second - in cassette decks. In the mechanics of the first type the capstan diameters, the pinch roller diameters and pinch roller pressure to the capstans are identical on both sides. The capstans rotate exactly with the same speed and there is no tape slippage on the capstans. This type works exclusively on the mechanical losses in the system. The capstan belt transfers the energy from the capstan motor to both capstans, and for that energy transfer there should be a difference between the belt tension on the supply side and on the take-up side. That difference depends on the mechanical energy losses (friction, pinch rollers and belt deformation etc.) . If the tape is present in the loop, than it runs "in parallel" to the capstan belt and takes some of it's tension on itself. This way the tape tension is well controlled without slippage and the whole system runs synchronously. Unfortunately, this system, though superior, requires tighter tolerances and for that reason only very few (and very good, coincidently) cassette decks use the "Non-slipping" dual-capstan mechanics: Nakamichi 1000, 1000-II, 700, 700-II, Sony TC-177SD, Technics RS-9900 , AFAIK - and perhaps few other decks too.

However the most common type of a dual-capstan transport for cassette decks is the "Slipping" type. In that type the supply side capstan rotates with slightly (0.1-0.3%) slower (linear) speed that the take-up capstan, the pinch rollers pressure is different too - very strong (300-500g) on the take-up side and much less (70-150g) on the supply side. As a result the tape continuously slipping on the supply capstan (to aid that slippage the supply capstan usually is highly polished and the take-up capstan is matt) and the tape tension is created by that slippage.

Cheers

Alex
Old 24th April 2013, 08:04 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Any of the cassette lovers wants this beast?

10x cassette player/changer

Hearbreaking to just dump it...

Rundmaus
Old 24th April 2013, 08:16 PM   #34
x-pro is offline x-pro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundmaus View Post
Any of the cassette lovers wants this beast?

10x cassette player/changer

Hearbreaking to just dump it...

Rundmaus
You've got a PM.

Cheers

Alex
Old 25th April 2013, 10:43 AM   #35
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Alex,

Thanks for the exhaustive explanation. Today I learnt something again...
Old 25th April 2013, 11:09 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pro View Post
The Nakamichi CR-7 is nor a very good sounding deck, IMHO, sorry!

On all (properly working, obviously) dual-capstan cassette decks the supply side tension is controlled and the tape tension on the heads is stabilised by the dual-capstan transport. On some good quality single-capstan decks the supply side tension is controlled either mechanically or electronically.

A good quality cassette deck with a Type II or Type IV cassette can easily rival in sound quality a decent R2R at 7.5 ips. A special mastering 3.75 ips cassette deck can compete with a good R2R at 15 ips. I've used such a deck at several UK hi-fi shows as a second source in a 50K+ system. Nobody ever guessed from the sound alone that it was a cassette playing.

Cheers

Alex
Nakamichi CR 7(A/E ) and same period machines like Dragon uses Low Noise FET input amplifier with really excellent S/N performance. Second most important factor is non pressure pad tape transport - scrape flutter is avoided and head wear is extremely small. And Sound ( using Dolby C in Nak)can match R2R 15 ips sound
They also workhorse machines - I use them regularly to listen to cassettes recorded 2 years back !
Old 25th April 2013, 11:10 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Sorry read Cassette tapes recorded 25 years back!
Old 25th April 2013, 11:15 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I used to have an 8 track player not so long ago.
It was fine until the tape came out then I had to spend lots of time winding the tape back on again !

The little shorting tape that changed channels didn't always work so I was forever clicking on to the next track.
Old 25th April 2013, 07:43 PM   #39
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default not playing cassettes...

...but have a couple of machines in "stand by" mode:
  • Sony TC-K61
  • Yamaha KX-600
Neither are "super decks" but had been good performers.

A Dragon would be cool, but impossible to find at anywhere near an attainable price .
Old 25th April 2013, 08:38 PM   #40
sco1t is offline sco1t  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

So lots of people like cassette still, me too.

I used to think they sounded rubbish until I got my 1983 JVC deck

Old JVC things seems better made then new JVC things though

Hide this!Advertise here!