Garrard Zero 100 worth some work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used Al2O3 but not easy to get in the right size. You can use any ceramic (hard) material though!

A ceramic ball and glass-Teflon may do the trick as well but expensive, is it worth it?

You can say anything about this peace of junk but the arm has a tracking error of only 2 minutes!, a normal pivot arm has a tracking error from about 2 degrees. Impressive but you won’t hear it. What you will hear is play from the Garrard arm, good idea bud bad construction.

For more explaining of the arm see this
this link.

It's a shame that my tonearm is broken so I can't test wether it's worth all the bad words. I think I forgot to meantion that I also took away the changer mechanics at the same time when I removed the pieces of the broken arm.

Regarding to the bearing:
I think I will go with an alumina plate (that is if I can find one) and a steel bearing. I have searched the web to find a suitable piece of ceramic and this is the only promising plate I found.
http://www.buyrefractory.com/CPStoreFrontend24/CandyPress/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=100

What do you think Triumph, could this be used as a thrust pad? How about the price, is it reasonable compared to the one you used?

By the way, my TT has doesn't have any damping foam inside the suspension coils (which are meantioned in the manual). What kind of foam should I use to replace the missing damping pads?

-MrSticha

22mm is to large you need 20mm max otherwise it wont fit.

I use 16mm and 1,5mm thick alumina.

An other option is to use some ceramics from an old electricity switch or whatever you can find from the right size made from ceramics (even jewelry) or glass. Be creative and look inside old electronic equipment for ceramics even a old bread toaster can contain the part you need.

The foam in the springs are from less importance. Linn does not use foam, I use some cheap soft foam from a old cushion.

Kffern

I would love to see the article from HIFI-world but only if it is really interesting. I didn’t see anything mentioned on there website. If you say it is an interesting article I am going to buy the magazine myself.

Mr. Sticha

The disc is to big, and if you could manage to get a smaller one that is hollow instead of a sphere disc the bearing would be selfcentered as well!

I think the arm is part of its charm. I would not replace the arm. Try finding a new Zero100 (they are just as cheap as they are bad). In my opinion it is better then to get a upgrade like a Garrard 301 that is a really descent player.

Triumph,

You are right about the size, although my platter seems to bee a bit different than yours or at least the small center piece with an opening on one side looks a little different. So I think I will start "digging the scrapyard" for a suitable piece of ceramic material. I like your idea about using a hollow disc, but I quess it has one down side: the contact area with the ball bearing will somewhat increase.

Well I already have a Mission tonearm to try with my Zero so I will give it a go. Furthermore, its a bit hard to find Zeros in Finland:) Whereas the price of a 301 is too high, I'd rather put that money to vinyl. I understand that we have a different approach with this TT because I don't mind changing the looks a little, that is if the performance gets better.

One option would be to replace the plinth without changing the looks of it. What I mean by this is to dump the plastic parts of the original chassis and replace them with something sturdier. Anyhow, I don't want my Zero to end up looking like just another replinthed idler TT, just just a little uglier than the Lencos and and 301s:)

-MrSticha

ceramic bearing

I managed to find few small ceramic aluminium oxide washers (id 2mm, od 8mm and thickness 2mm). However, these feel quite rough, which could be a proble. I wonder if there is any way to polish them.

I also found some oilite sintered bronze bushings like the one in the picture below.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414Qv9RMBiL._AA280_.jpg

The pushing fits inside to shaft so maybe I will try it as a mount for the steel ball.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.