Tandberg 6X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

i found this forum a couple of weeks ago, very interesting reading indeed! I've been DIY'ing in audio for a while now, self-made tube amps, phono eq, turntable and such.

However, my first thread is going to be a cry for help!

I managed to get hold of a Tandberg 6X reel to reel just over 12 months ago now after fixing one at work (the version with the output stage) and listening to it once done. It sounded fantastic! The version i managed to get is just the line level version but still all tube in the audio chain (semiconductors for the biasing and "centre" channel).

What with other interests and just being a bit lazy it's only just last night that i finally got around to fitting all the parts i had bought a year earlier to resurrect the unit. It needed a new pinch roller, all the capacitors in the audio chain (de-coupling and cathode caps etc) and new valve bases. After doing all that i finally have sound!!

However, playback is fine but rec/pb sounds bl***y awfull!! It sounds like poor head to tape contact/distorting early.

I have a schematic but not the whole service manual. My cry for help therefore is, does anyone have or know where i can get a full service manual.
I have a feeling that someone previous to me has been in there and twiddled or i have a serious fault with the biasing?
Before i get in there and twiddle myself i would like to get the adjustments as Tandberg describe in the manual.

So please help so i can get this lovely machine back to full working order.

Cheers all, James.

Attachments

• 64x.jpg
    64x.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 238

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi percival007,

I have serviced hundreds of these Tandberg open reel players in the past, it was a long time ago so my memory is (very) distant. I don't remember any measurement/alignment details, sorry.
If you have some patience I can quite possibly get hold of a service manual.
Can you provide the exact model number?

Thanks chaps for the replies,

the model number is a 62X, it is the two channel version of the one in the picture posted earlier.

Sorry, i forgot to put the exact model number!

I'll check out the web site as soon as possible.

I have also put in an enquiry with these people www.audioclassics.com
where it seems $25.00 will get me the manual.

Thanks again for the replies, i'll keep you posted.

Regards, James.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

James,
I have mailed a request for the manual to my former working college that probably has your wanted service manual, I'm awaiting answer.
I think the bias generator on your recorder is made with semiconductors (Germanium) as opposed to tubes in the audio circuitry. And as known, Germanium semiconductors are not known for long term stability/life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.