For tuner..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sch3mat1c said:
Curious if anyone has an opinion on the Onkyo TX-2500.

This applies to this forum since I use it for a tuner for my stereo 6V6 SE..

In its day it was one of the best sounding Japanese receivers available, handily outdoing the more recognized name brands -- and some by a big margin. The tuner section is particularily good, leveraging its heritage from the 4055 and the concurrent T-9. It was the middle of the range (TX1500, TX2500, TX4500) and put out 25 w/chan IIRC.

can't use it for power because it doesn't mix in the computer.

????????

dave

About the tuner.

I was wondering why 1. it can't always recieve in stereo, and 2. the stereo lock has to cut the damn thing out completely when it's not in stereo! (I'm on the fringe of my favorite radio station, I have a pretty good antenna but sometimes the atmosphere has its way...)

I can't use it for power because the way I want to have my setup is to have a volume control for audio: zero (no radio playing) to whatever, mixed with the computer, which is always up (playing through).
My stereo 6V6 SE works great because I can mute either - or turn it up louder - since each has a volume control. But most of the time one (computer) or both are up somewhere; this is obviously permissible because the computer is intermittent, the occasional ding or Trillian message..

Tim (probably could've said that in fewer words but is too tired to retype it)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sch3mat1c said:
I was wondering why 1. it can't always recieve in stereo, and 2. the stereo lock has to cut the damn thing out completely when it's not in stereo! (I'm on the fringe of my favorite radio station, I have a pretty good antenna but sometimes the atmosphere has its way...)

Sounds about right... i'm on the fringe of the station i listen too (KPLU -- Tacoma WA) and always run mono with the lock defeated (Onkyo T-4040).

Probably the only solution is to move the radio station closer :D

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BrianL said:
Not to diverge, but why listen to KPLU when you
can listen to KING-FM. How I miss that station.
(don't tell me, you'd rather listen to jazz than classical)

Well i do tend to enjoy jazz... but there is also a geographic situation. We are in the "valley" at the top of a pass and a lot of stations are blocked by the "mountains" on either side. I can't get any Vancouver stations and even some of the local ones. We are on a direct shot to KPLUs main broadcast tower. I haven't run across KING when scanning channels so it might be one of those we are in shawdow of. Do you recall where it is on the dial?

dave

Dave,

KING-FM is at 98.1; also at http://www.king.org with
RealAudio feed. Broadcast runs only a small amount
of compression during the day and no compressor
at night (after 6pm?). Peak limit is there to keep
the FCC happy.

KING-FM is arguably the most listened-to classical
station in the world -- mostly via the Web. It's
the most listened-to classical station in India!
Also, IMO the BEST classical station in the USA.

Yes, I can relate to your reception. Years ago, when
we first moved to the area, we lived in an apartment in
Everett not that far south of downtown. We could get
nothing from Seattle, so our only choices were an Everett
C&W station, and the CBC station out of Vancouver.
Everyone where I worked noticed that there was no
radio reception in Everett, though when you got off of
I-5 and headed east on the Hwy 2 trestle out of downtown
that radio reception came back. Thus we called it "Radio
Free Everett".

BTW, we loved the "Royal Canadian Air Farce" on CBC
Saturday mornings.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BrianL said:
KING-FM is at 98.1

Comes in :) -- enuff signal strength for stereo. Sounds like a Christian music station right now thou.

also at http://www.king.org with
RealAudio feed.

I can live without MP3s and webfeeds of music. KPLU is one of the most listened to Jazz stations in the world -- i guess that makes the Seattle/Tacoma area a major star in good radio.

BTW, we loved the "Royal Canadian Air Farce" on CBC
Saturday mornings.

Now an outstanding television show... George B got the 2002 Chicken Cannon honours this year.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.