Increasing Low Signal Output cartridge using Nakamichi Dragon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a lot of record's I'd like to listen. Using a Linn Asak T-DC2100K cartridge, LP12 turntable and a modest rotel RQ-970BX phono equalizer.
Its sound very nice, but the cartridge output is very low. I made this experiment to boost the signal up. Place the Rotel outputs into a Nakamichi Dragon tape recorder, and using the recording levels, in monitor mode, I can get the signal to a decent level.
The Nakamichi Dragon is a very good equipment, but is its 'preamplifier' module a quality piece, or do I need a costly phono preamplifier?

Thanks
Rafael

So you have a Dragon line stage :)

You will probably get a better sound and less noise if you use a phono stage with sufficient gain for your cart or at least a step-up active device or transformer. And lets face it: the Rotel is not that great anyway. With a minimum of effort you should be able to build a much nicer phono stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.