Pioneer PL-200 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I've gotten into vinyl and got my Dad's old Turntable so I could listen to some of his Albums, as well as get into the collecting of some records.

The turntable is a Pioneer PL-200. An oldie for sure but it worked. It played a few times and I enjoyed listening to it. The set up was pretty ghetto by most standards but it was good enough for me, for now.

For some reason, now whenever it is plugged in; it turns on. Before it wouldn't turn on when plugged in, but it'd power up once the arm was removed from its holder and brought towards the record. Now once I put the needle down to listen to something the arm auto-returns. It just auto returns and turns off the turntable, and then turns back on, over and over. Sometimes it auto-returns before the needle is ready to play.

Any one have any ideas how to stop this, or should I just give up being as its such an old player.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Depending on the turntable, automatics have a sometimes, sometimes not, complex mechanical system to perform the whole movement operation.
Most likely some mechanical part is in bad need of cleaning and a fresh drop of oil. There is no way I can point you to the exact location but carefully inspecting what happens during the different movement sequences should lead you to the problem part. You'll obviously will need to open up the turntable.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.