I have a TT again - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
raindog is offline raindog  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raindog
Talking I have a TT again

Since my old TT ( Technics SL-QL5) died a couple of years ago I was unable to listen to my LP's .
Fortunately a month or so ago a friend of mine gave me a Sony PS-LX10 ( i know it's not the best TT but i cant afford to buy a good one and i don't have access to equipment to build one ) , unfortunately it was missing a couple of bits : the stylus , the rubber mat , the cover and worst of all , after searching the internet i found out that it was part of a complete system and supposedly it only worked when attached to the ,,mother" system( explaining the lack of a power cord, power switch or even audio outputs ).
I didn't let that get in my way and after studying the TT i dicovered it has a complete power stage ( rectifier, filter caps, regulators) but no transformer and the wires from the cartridge where soldered to a separate piece of PCB i started looking at the service manuals of the PS-LX series ( witch seem to be very similar to each other regarding the design ) and went to work. I also have a cheap imitation of a TT made by Schneider ( SBD 55 ) witch i didn't use because it was a horrible piece of junk made entirely from plastic but who had a very good rubber mat ( and fitted exactly over the Sony platter ) , a cover ( not perfect but i will do for now ) a strangely enough the stylus of the Schneider fitted almost perfectly on the Sony cartridge . Next I attached a 2x10 V transformer and a my old preamp, plugged everything in and to my surprise the TT worked and it even sounded ok. Now I've took everything apart because it needed cleaning up and i want to oil the moving parts.
The TT looks pretty well build , the vertical shaft of the arm is on ball bearings and the horizontal joint is also on ball bearings. The platter is aluminum but it's pretty light , the thing that surprised me was the size of the motor ( huge! ).
Any suggestions to improve my new ,,toy" are welcome!
Old 24th August 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default electrical ,,guts"

You can see the size of the motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrical.jpg (99.1 KB, 935 views)
Old 24th August 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default platter, mat and arm

platter, mat and arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mechanical.jpg (70.5 KB, 821 views)
Old 24th August 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

An empty shell of it's former self
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body.jpg (63.9 KB, 825 views)
Old 25th August 2007, 04:28 AM   #5
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default suggestions...

Normally I'd say junk it, but perhaps due to your location , I won't, particularly if you've all the bits to put it together. I may even have one of those kicking around the house too.

someplace (maybe here at diyAudio , some one had modified an old Sony plastic table.

The worst thing going for that Sony (I think) is the plastic plinth. If you could mount all the bits on a piece of Baltic Birch plywood, or similar, then at least you would have a base to begin fininshing the turntable. One way may be to carefully cut the top of the turntable plinth and then build some panels for the sides...
Old 25th August 2007, 09:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions Nanook, I was thinking about replacing the plinth since I've got the TT ( I even have a large piece of plywood ), the difficult part is fitting the arm ( and all the mechanics attached to it ). In defense of my ,,location" I actually found a lot of second-hand TT's ( Technics, Kenwood, Akai, Uher, Telefunken and even Thorens ), but the ones at a reasonable price were usually abused by teenagers trying to be DJs and I didn't want to spend my money on something I probably couldn't repair.

All the best,

Paul
Old 25th August 2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default raindog...

I guess I must have misinterpreted you, regarding reasonable price

Quote:
i know it's not the best TT but i cant afford to buy a good one and i don't have access to equipment to build one
you can always convert it to a manual table...

also, if I can make a tonearm, so can you...Nanook's $2.19 diy tonearm , so that would take care of the tonearm situation
Old 25th August 2007, 09:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

nanook
I actually like the ,,automatic" feature of my TT ( I've seen people complaining about misalignments in the movement of the arm -mine had the same problem when I got it but it was very easy to fix , the mechanics controlling the arm allow for adjustments).
I love your idea of using a chopping block for the plinth and I will give it a try ( I remember seeing some large ones in a supermarket ).
I'm not so sure about the unipivot arm but I think i will fiddle with the original one .
Old 26th August 2007, 02:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Sony PS-LX10

This was strange. I got an Sony PS-LX10 25.08.2007 in search for a TT to play over my vinyl collection to harddisk, searched the WEB and found this fresh posts on the same TT the day after. Life is good! Maybe you can give me a hint of the pinouts of the 2 connectors on the backside of Sony PS-LX10?
Old 26th August 2007, 06:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dr. Fnatt

As far as I was able to find out searching the web the connectors you inquire about are meant to link the TT to the system it was part of ( so they are in fact proprietary Sony connectors ). I've got my TT without a transformer to power it but I presume it was removed because it had three wires just hanging around linked on the main PCB to a bridge rectifier so i attached ( after looking at similar TT schematics ) a 2x10 V 10Watt transformer to the wires ( white connected to the center tap ) and the TT came to life. The TT doesn't contain a preamp but the cartridge is connected to the small PCB covered by a metal shield ( you can put RCA connectors in the back like I did ). Returning to the connectors you asked about they seem to allow the ,,mother" system to control the TT ( remote control, synchronized recording to a compact cassette etc. ). If you have more questions I will be happy to answer ( if I can )

Best regards

Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!