I have a TT again - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2007, 06:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Sony PS-LX10

Hi Paul,

Very interesting, thanks for your reply. I think I come closer and closer to a solution. I bought the freestanding single TT for a good price at the Salvation Army Secondhand Shop for 10$, it was a good deal for me and my money went to something useful. The TT has two connectors at the rear, one with 5 pins and one with two. Additionally I see a shielded AF cable with phono plugs coming out at the backside, for audio I am sure. I want to make a power supply and probably some controls if needed, and hope that I can get a hint about how to connect these two connectors. I have opened the bottom lid and see that the 5 pin connector has two cables connected to it, a 3 core cable and a 2 core cable. Maybe the 3 core cable is for power supply 10+10VAC? I can dismantle the printboard but I am intensionally careful. A schematics had solved the problem but service documentation of such equipment seems rare at internet. Thanks again, Paul, from Anton.
Old 26th August 2007, 07:06 PM   #12
raindog is offline raindog  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raindog
Anton

I'm glad I can help. You assumed correctly, the 3 wires going from the 5 pin connector to the PCB ( near the 2 large electrolytic capacitors ) are for power supply , just be careful to connect the correct one ( white in my case ) to the center tap of the tranformer.

Paul
Old 26th August 2007, 07:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I forgot something: the PS-LX10 is part of the system LBT-V10 for witch seem to be service manuals on the web ( for a price of course, but unfortunately for me acquiring a manual from www is not a option )
Old 7th July 2009, 09:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to odsquad64
I hate to drag up an old thread, but I recently acquired a PS-LX10 turntable in the same condition as yours. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on the power supply you used to get this thing working. In the post you say you used a "2x10 V transformer" but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'd really appreciate any insight you or anyone else can give into this.

Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 09:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi odsquad64,

if your TT doesn't have a transformer in the case ( mine didn't , but there is a space witch seems to suit one ) you need a mains transformer with two secondary windings with 10volts each or a center tapped 20 volts secondary ( the TT uses a split power supply , the rectifier bridge and the smoothing caps are on the main pcb ) , just make sure you connect the transformer right . I used a fairly small transformer ( 20watts - i don't think the original one was much larger -judging by the space reserved for it in the case ).

If you have further questions I will be happy to help.

Paul
Old 14th July 2009, 12:49 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to odsquad64
Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get this thing running pretty soon. Now that I know what I need I've just got to find it. I appreciate you clearing that up for me.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

i just found this Thread on Google. Since i have an old PS-LX10 too, i just registered here.

As raindog said, there is Documentation about the LBT-V10 on the internet. I've found a "Service Manual" for the LBT-V10: LBT-V10 service manual download for SONY Stereo fix technical repair instruction schematic diagram free : GiveMeFile.Net

It does not contain specific information about the PS-LX10, since it is an optional part, but it has a general overview about the connectors on page 8.
There you can see, that the 3 pin cable is a connection between the Turntable and the cassette deck, obviously used for synchronizing.

The 5 pin cable has only a description for 2 of the 5 pins. one is "STOP" and the other "PS FUNCTION". the cable with the cinch plugs is Phono output.

Hope i could actually help you a bit. i will now try to repair my own PS-LX10. thank you for the tips with the mains connection

Greetings,
stewe
Old 4th February 2012, 02:46 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've done an important improvement to my "craptastic" TT : an Audio-Tehnica AT91 cartridge ( huge improvement in sound quality ). I had to do minor modifications to the head-shell ( a bit of filing and a hole in the top for the screw holding the cartridge in place ) an this time I took pictures ! .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head-shell1.jpg (448.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg head-shell2.jpg (505.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ps-lx10-2.jpg (591.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 9th April 2013, 02:35 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Sony PS-LX10

Wow, your posts were exactly what I needed. I just bought a second-hand PS-LX10 and had the same questions as you guys--"how do I power this thing?" I have a much better handle on this now, but still not sure which transformer to get and how precisely to connect it. Please help.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Good for you!!!!

Im glad ya got a TT my friend,dont worry.... Soon you will have a better one

I have a player from 1968 i got for christmas,i love it!!!!!!!

KEEP EM SPINNING!!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!