Floppy disk "rim drive?"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pretty ugly to me too....

nope!
actually looks quite nice. What arm?

if the ratio of belt pulley diameter to platter diameter remains the same, then no problems. a way to adjust the tension between the platter and the drive wheel may be neede or an idler wheel.

Bearing details?

Hi Nanook, thanks, but I cheated :( The plinth is from an office desk. The bearing and platter is from my old Clearaudio Champion. The arm is an Eminent Technology ET 2.0

I need to research on idlers... I hope it works. The floppy motor is very good with the belt drive, no stress to turn the platter.

The calculated pulley diameter was 33 1/3 * 29.8cm / 300 = 3.31111

So if I can find an idler wheel of that size, then I'm good?

taking apart a clear audio champion...

ya, I'd ask too, unless the motor was pooched.

Hmmm, an Altman bearing with a floppy drive and a plastic wheel or direct to the platter.

here's the really cool thing about idlers. any size will do as ultimately it is the "linear" speed of the motor that determines the linear speed of the platter. The idler allows some isolation, and a means to adjust the tension

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.