Marintz 6110

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have one I picked up on ebay couple months ago. I felt the motor was too noisy. Lacks much ability to be tinkered with due to the line voltage ac motor. However, it is fine as a beginner unit IMO. Mine has a Grado Black cartridge. How noisy is the motor in yours? Mine also required considerably cleaning and relubricating to get rid of old grease that had turned to wax. I used (teflon based) Tri_Flow available at the local hdwe store. I also upgraded the feet to brass spikes.

Well, bring it up and give it a try< what's the worst that can happen?
The thing is, it is probably is not going to give vinyl a great audition that will move you to forgo CD's, but depending on the quality of the rest of your system, it may heighten your interest. (for example, what do you have for a phone stage?
Cheers!!

Does either the aforementioned amps have a phone input? (which means it will have an RIAA equalized pre-amp that is needed in order to get the proper frequency response) Line level outputs from digital devices such as DVD/CD decks do not use this type of pre-amp, just line in, as you probably have figured out. Inexpensive phono-preamps can be found on ebay, or at yard sales or perhaps a local thrift shop or used audio equip dealer.

I see that the K-502 is an inexpensive stereo tube amp kit. As such, it needs a phono pre-amp. Depending on your choice of a 5.1 amp, it may have a built in phono stage. Alternatively, depending on your budget, you might find a good quality stereo amp used having everything you need for a 2-channel system, you could run a subwoofer with built in amp, that will make it a "2.1" system.

is this helpful?

"yes for the first post"....
The 5.1 or the tube amp has phono stage? The kit tube amp is basically designed for being fed directly from a 2 channel device with "flat" frequency input. Not RIAA phono equalization. Or do you already have a 5.1 rcvr with phono in?
Sorry for my lack of clarity here.

I like your choice of speakers, did a search for them. Good choice! the final cost for all of the drivers and crossover components will add up to a bit. Can you make the cabinets?

Haven't messed with graphic equalizers for years. they seemed to be more about compensating for component mismatch, as far as frequency response. I go with KISS (keep it simple st***d). My garage system has homemade single driver transmission line speakers, DIY with Tang-Band 4.5" drivers. My amp is a simple single ended tube amp using 6V6 output tubes, driven by "Aikido" circuit. the (temporary) phono preamp is an ART DJ PREII (about $40US) The turntable is a Harman Kardon T65C (ebay again). So it doesn't take up much room, and has short runs of interconnect cables and not many of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.