SMM/E stylus for Supex SM-1000 MKII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice cartridge, but it hasn't been manufactured for about 20 years, and the manufacturer no longer exists. The stylus wasn't replaceable even when the cartridge was current. Your best bet at this point is a remanufacturer like Garrott Brothers, Van den Hul or Expert Stylus Company (Expert Stylus would be my choice).

PS, I assume you mean the Supex SD-1000, right? A low-output moving coil? I've never heard of an SM-1000.

I had an SD-1000 in 1979, and I get sad every time I think about trading it away. I also had a couple of SD-900's (a MK-II and a MK-IV). I bought the MK-IV in 1989, and it was NOS, the company had already ceased manufacturing by then.

HI
No my ad corect these is a SM type but with a mistake not 1000 only 100 Mk III
So one more time SUPEX SM-100 Mk III made in Japan . I need a Stylus but I not even know if worth that much .
So I try to find out some info about .
Not much on the net about these cartridge .

Regards

audiobomber said:
Then this definitely is a case of mistaken identity. The SM-100 was a Moving Magnet, and does have a replaceable stylus assembly. I found this on the net, but I have no info on what kind of quality this firm offers. http://www.musonic.co.uk/erol.html#...d=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

audiobomber said:
You should seriously consider buying a new Grado or Audio-Technica instead of buying a stylus for the Supex. Musonic is not the original manufacturer, and who really knows what kind of performance you'll end up with?

Hi,

The stylus for sale at the Musonic site is an original SMM/38E, worth a punt :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:

Hi,

The stylus for sale at the Musonic site is an original SMM/38E, worth a punt :

:)/sreten.

But how old is it then? That cartridge has been out of production for 20 years. IME the suspension deteriorates with time, whether it's being played or not. Five years is usual, ten is really a stretch. Twenty, no way.

IIRC, the SM-100 was a $90 cartridge, it's not some sort of exotic. If it were up to me I'd buy a new cartridge, but I understand that some people have other reasons for preserving vintage products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.