Thorens TD126 oscillator lamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The amplitude control lamp in the oscillator circuit of my TD126 turntable has fallen off due to corrosion of the leads.
Would anyone know what it's ratings are ? I guess I will have to search for a similar part here . Any ideas ?
I've attached a picture. Cold resistance seems to be 85 ohms.

Know any sources ?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Attachments

• td126 lamp.jpg
    td126 lamp.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 240
Thanks Mark.
I checked the TD125 manual an hour ago and discovered the lamp was 6V 20mA . But then I'm still not sure. I can however try to see what I can get in the market. The filament structure should indicate if its useful. This one has a very thin filament compared to some 6V lamps I have seen.

Right now I've decided to try and resolder an external copper wire to the small stubs ( maybe 0.2mm ) that are still there. It couldn't possibly cause any more damage. If it works , I can glue the new wires to the body and then it should last another 10 years ! It will give me enough time to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks.
Ashok.

That looks a lot like the somewhat old fashioned bulbs used in telephone equipment and some electronic test equipment. They usually have metal contact glued to each side so the bulb can be pushed into a socket. They come in all sorts of voltages and currents. You need a bulb catalog, Chicago Miniature Lamp or similar, then order something suitable from one of the distributors. Pull the metal contact off each side and solder it in. That would give you something that looked like the original installation, if you're into that sort of thing- I like my repairs to be invisible ;)

Hi Conrad and others,
The possibility of getting minature bulbs in our shops is almost nill. However "old" shops sometimes have ancient stuff stashed away. I went to one of those and he had a box full of tiny lamps and no specs on anyone of them. Most were with leads on them. I picked two each of five different types ( shapes and lead outs !) for about 50 cents !
At home I found one which had a cold resistance of about 45 ohms which was the highest of the lot. I put it in and the circuit is working again.
So I got the platter working with correct voltages and speed.
Now I find the arm is sticking very gently , half way down the disc causing it to get stuck there . I can lift it and move it across the album without it appearing to stick significantly.
So it's back to trying to fix that.

Will anyone have the instruction manual for the TD126MkII ? The one I found on the web has very blurred diagrams that I can't read the part numbers.
I want to know how to change the tone arm height. It appears to be too low. In fact I need to have the instructions on how to set up the tone arm.

Will be extremely grateful if anyone can help out with this. I will attach a picture in a few minutes of the tone arm. It is a Thorens tone arm with no headshell as such. The finger lift is the cartridge carrier and can slide on the tone arm. Looks rather flimsy to me !
Thanks again.

Cheers.
:)

Attachments

• thorens tone arm.jpg
    thorens tone arm.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 180
Thanks.
I did get those sites for the manuals. However they are for the TD126 MkI-III. Mine is a Mk-II .
The Vinyl Engine has a manual but its diagrams are unreadable.
The circuit of the Mk-II is also different from the Mk-II. I suspect the tone arm is similar except for the 'arm wand'.

Anyway, I fixed the motor drive oscillator problem and also the motor tilt adjustment problem. So the platter is now fully functional.
I have to fix the tone arm . It sticks lightly at one point and it needs a height adjustment. I bought a manual from Thorens but that is also for the Mk-III. Will need to study it closely.
Cheers.

OK , I got the tonearm height adjustment figured out.
However the lift mechanism now doesn't seem to reach the arm .:mad:

I could live with that , but must try to see if it can be fixed later on. I was hoping someone who has a 126MkII with the original tone arm might respond. This seems to be a really flimsy way to fix the cartridge unless appearances are deceptive.

Wonder if I can get an arm from the TD126 Mk III. I couldn't find one at eBay. I need just the wand and not the whole arm.

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.