Modding a DD motor for belt/idler drive - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Modding a DD motor for belt/idler drive

Hi everyone,

While I've been searching awhile for the best motor for my DIY TT, I was thinking, why not adapt a cheap motor from a direct-drive turntable for use as a separate motor for a turntable? I'm particularly considering a rim drive, putting a large wheel on the motor and driving the platter directly.

Many of the cheaper DD tables had the motor/bearing/drive electronics as a single assembly, w/ pins for power and control. Now I've never examined one of these up close, but I imagine they simply have a hall sensor, and maybe basic feedbak loop to control speed. So the main challenge would be to get the motor to spin a bit faster to supply an idler or belt drive.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks,
Zach

Hide this!Advertise here!