Thorens TD 125 speed problems - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2007, 07:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default TD125 speed

Hi Ed,
The toothbrush idea is perfect, I use them for the same thing also stencil brushes for cleaning PCBs with IPA .
I don't know about tweaking it for 78RPm, when I next get one in for repair I will have a look

John
Old 25th June 2007, 10:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks John

Ed
Old 26th June 2007, 01:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by singinghairdo

I have heard rumours that the 16 rpm setting can be tweaked to run at 78 RPM, is this true, or ill advised?
The frequency of the Wien bridge can easily be changed - try changing R18 to around 22k, R19 to around 10k and C11 to around 0.47 uF. Whether you can develop enough voltage to run the motor at 78 rpm and how it copes with this I don't know.
Old 27th June 2007, 04:41 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Kelly

The frequency of the Wien bridge can easily be changed - try changing R18 to around 22k, R19 to around 10k and C11 to around 0.47 uF. Whether you can develop enough voltage to run the motor at 78 rpm and how it copes with this I don't know.

You'll also need to replace the 250uF phase shifting capacitor normally used for 16rpm with something like 33uF + 10uF in parallel to get the right phase shift on the motor winding.

Set the voltage to 8Vrms as per 45rpm operation or more if adjustment range is sufficient.

I can't say whether or not any of this is a good idea, and possible problems with the power amplifier and motor could ensue. Use at own risk!
Old 27th June 2007, 11:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin, I'd overlooked the need to change the phase shift capacitance.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:26 AM   #16
600LPs is offline 600LPs  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Using a KAB Speedstrobe, I'm noticing an apparent drift in speed with my TD 125 MKII. It's also hard to get the speed right in the first place, as if the speed control seems to be sticking and letting go (so fine tuning is more of a slingshot operation! ). ;-)

I've also noticed that after I get the speed apparently right, and record (to digital) an album or two, the speed seems to have changed - test is always without a record or other weight on the platter.

I'm learning about stylus drag, etc., but I didn't think such a thing was an issue with my MkII's 16 pole motor. Ah, learning curves.

I'm following up on this thread to ask:

1. What can I do about an apparently unresponsive speed control - clean, replace?

2. Is a motor problem causing drift? If not, what's the most likely cause?

I've been using a KAB Speedstrobe for a while now, but only recently noticed problems with setting and keeping the speed.

I've changed arms on my table, but I don't do well with soldering, etc., so advice on the practicality of fix attempts vs turn table replacement would be appreciated. What's a good choice if necessary, when considering the cost on 500 recording sessions or so.

Thanks
Old 27th October 2007, 03:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Service manual

Service manual downloadable from here :

http://www.vinylengine.com/library_m...ed_model=TD125
Old 27th October 2007, 04:49 PM   #18
600LPs is offline 600LPs  Thailand
diyAudio Member

ashok, thanks for your reply and the link.

My TT is the TD125 MK II, though, and I couldn't find it there.
Old 28th October 2007, 02:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

How could you miss it ?
It's listed at the bottom of the Downloads list as " mkII service manual (en) "
Cheers.
Old 28th October 2007, 12:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default TD125 speed change

Hi 600
I think the first thing you should do is either clean with IPA or replace the speed adjustment pots on the motor drive board. The main problem appears to be the silver wiper track becomes black with Silver Sulphide so cleaning it with IPA and putting a very light smear of silicone grease on them will help.
If you mark the position of the wipers with an indelible pen, as I have said before, it is pretty easy to get back to square one.
To set the Wein bridge pots you really need a 'scope to look at the waveform.

John Caswell

Hide this!Advertise here!