RB250 or RB300 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2007, 02:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to planarboy
Default RB250 or RB300

I just got my first rega Planar 3 which came with an R200, the Japanese one they used to use before 83.
I'm only new to the game.
Should I be trying to buy an RB250 or an RB300?
Origin works better on 250? true?
Also someone please name a few decent cartridges, I have an ortofon OB10 i think it is. is this a good enough first cartridge do y'all reckon?
My budget isn't up in the clouds but i plan to spend around 75 a week upgrading and learning about my rega...I love it.
Not looking for a straight answer guys, just wanna check out the argument and be involved.
Old 20th June 2007, 03:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default What's the rest of your system?

Cartridge, phono stage, etc.

Best to know the whole situation before dispensing advice.
Old 20th June 2007, 06:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You should consider these:

1. Upgrade the motor assembly, as found in the new P3. Obtainable from Rega dealers.
2. Yes!.. junk the RB200 and replace with RB250 or RB300.

Many will swear the RB250 performs best with a counterweight upgrade. RB300 has certainly got a better stock counterweight than RB250 and VTF adjuster fitted. Its entirely up to you which one suits you, but upgraded motor and new arm is neccessary to lift the Planar 3 to another level and lease of life.
Old 20th June 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to planarboy
thanks for your help so far.
I have a rega planar 3 as i said, stock as, but with ortofon ob10 cartridge and also nice van den hul wiring.
I clearly need help with it as it seems to be playing 45 at acceptable speed but 33 is slowed right down.
I am going to get the motor upgrade and just keep learning for myself.. i think i have to check out the bearing, the spindle and exactly where the band should sit on the subplatter.
Should the motor be hanging rather loose by the rubber bands?
Old 20th June 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Both the RB250 and 300 are a huge improvement ofn the 200.
Old 21st June 2007, 04:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planarboy

I clearly need help with it as it seems to be playing 45 at acceptable speed but 33 is slowed right down.
I am going to get the motor upgrade and just keep learning for myself.. i think i have to check out the bearing, the spindle and exactly where the band should sit on the subplatter.
Should the motor be hanging rather loose by the rubber bands?

Look at the motor pulley when it starts up and if it wobbles..its loose and the bands have to be replaced. Being rubber..it doesn't last forever...just like the drive belt.

Please use the ORIGINAL Rega belt which have the correct tension. A compatible belt that's too tight will slow down the speed.
The spindle bearing assembly should be thoroughly cleaned out every few years and replendished with approximately 2-3 drops of good quality SAE90 gear oil. Just be careful not to loose the small ball bearing underneath the spindle, when lifting the platter hub out of the bearing sleeve.
Old 21st June 2007, 05:55 AM   #7
Nanook is online now Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default arms and such

The new style P3 motor is apparently a huge upgrade. Regas have been clocked at slightly too fast speeds, part of the Rega "charm".

Some people really like the "200" arm. I think my plan of action would be:
  • replace the motor
  • replace the arm
  • upgrade the internal wiring or purchase a modified arm form Origin Live or similar
  • upgrade the counter weight
  • purchase a VTA adapter
  • sell the Rega turntable
  • buy a Linn LP12 or whatever your heart desires for an "upper" level turntable

Once you modify the Rega arm or purchase a modded one from Origin Live (or whoever), you will have a very good performing am, certainly good enough to mount onto an upper level turntable. Keep the "200" arm, remount it on the Rega and sell it as a unit when you upgrade the table.

the Ortofon cartridge is a good performing inexpensive cartridge--you can do a lot worse. Nice thing is you can purchase the OM30 stylus and use the same cartridge body, and will have upgraded the perormance for less than replacing the cartridge with another.

Depending on the rest of your eqyuipment, the next stage would probably require a better phono stage (I say this without knowing what you have now).
Old 21st June 2007, 06:02 AM   #8
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

why dont you post your questions on vinyl asylum or vinyl engine, or audiogon? if you want serious and good advice
Old 21st June 2007, 06:05 AM   #9
Nanook is online now Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default qwad...

whose to say that any advice there is better than what has been suggestd here? I belong to all three you mention., and I know the advice offered at the alternative sites would be similar.

Just curious what you consider "serious" or seem to imply better responses elsewhere?
Old 21st June 2007, 07:50 AM   #10
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by qwad
why dont you post your questions on vinyl asylum or vinyl engine, or audiogon? if you want serious and good advice

I too am a member of these forums and struggle to see what is wrong with the advice given so far.

With regard to the speed issue; you need to check the speed of both 33.3 and 45rpm with a strobe disc before you go any further; if you don't have one you can print one off from the internet.

As I remember the Rega 3 of that time (if yours has an RB200 fitted it is quite an old one) the Motor is very compliantly mounted. Essentially, it is hung about its perimeter on a rubber band. Speed is simply changed by moving the thin belt from one size of diameter to another on a shallow stepped pulley. The pulley is not crowned as some 'clutch' designs so some of the previous comment on this thread is not really relevant. In truth, I can't think of a mechanism (in this specific case) that would allow 45rpm to be correct but 33rpm to be too slow. As the speed change is completely manual and uses two steps of one pulley the relationship between the two speeds is set. With regard to the belt tension; as long as the motor is not canted over significantly towards the inner platter all should be well. It is possible you have the wrong cross section of belt but that should be obvious to you. Many decks use a relatively broad flat belt but your Rega 3 uses a small diameter (2mm or so) belt (if I remember correctly). You have no control over where the belt runs on the sub platter so this issue is not relevant.

Planerboy, none of the issues you raise in your post should cause the deck to play 33.3's incorrectly compared to 45rpm. All pf those issues mentioned could potentially effect the speed but these issues would affect both speeds equally.

Hide this!Advertise here!