RB250 or RB300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planarboy said:
Come to think of it I cant think of any way ONE speed of a turntable can be out, especially planar with the simple pulleys.
Maybe my ears were tired, Ive been rehearsing live music a lot.

No I can't either. One thing did ocur to me but it is in fact quite easy to acidentaly put on a 12' record that is in fact a single and recorded at 45rpm (I have quite a lot), this simple mistake will definately give rise to the problem you describe - sounds dumb but I've done it myself. Some of my records don't actually state that they are recorded at 45rpm which doesn't help :)

thats not a bad idea, a friend of mine operates a big computer lathe at a kitchen factory.
I can try that.
I'm gonna try a basswood plinth with birdseye maple ply top as well though.
It would look good and would make a great gift for my bro with all the old parts if it wasn't too bad.
I already got the maple top and i need basswood and some 3mm mdf for on the bottom maybe - very cheap really, i could get it all done with beer, too, my mates have the tools, i don't.
Yellowy lacquer and black spray around the edge to hide the top, like a fender. It's worth a try...
I'm interested in doing it, i could probably make a few before i get the good hardware to really test for differences in 'em.
I'm having trouble looking for a rega parts retailer in australia

well, the record i used to "sort of" check the pitch is 33 on one side and 45 on the other.
have to be it id say.
I put the blue wire back on and both speeds seem to be playing slow, but the rubber band that holds the motor on is loose on one side and etc...i'll figure it out.
I gotta find someone to sell me the upgrade motor WITH the sticky nasa stuff they bang on about, stuck here in western australia with no real shops to write about.
cos i got a new drive belt and still kaput. too slow.
I know it isnt the spindle or bearing, that works fine.
I havent checked the pulley, the bit where people say to put super glue.
ill do that

I have had a fellow claim speed problems at one speed and not another. Found his pulley was loose (though slipping rather then free spinning) and can only assume that different sizes of pulley rims for 33 and 45 will cuae different levels of "torque" casing different or perhaps less slipping with one speed then the other.....

After the superglue fix the chap has been happy with no probs...

G

Hi Planarboy,

I have a Planar 2 with the same tonearm (it's essentially exactly the same turntable) and I'd just like to point out a few things.

The Rega is known to be about 1% fast in speed, stock.

The 'rubber band' holding the motor is actually the same as a drive belt, as I understand. It's normal for the motor to be loosely suspended.

As mentioned above, it's also quite common for the pulley to come loose and superglue is the cure. You don't need to worry about where the belt sits on the subplatter outer, as long as it's not too close to the edge. If it is, then there's something wrong, like the motor is well out of whack.

Make sure you read up on how to set up the cartridge in the arm headshell - there are plenty of websites which can tell you this in a generic sense. You should be able to download a printable alignment protractor which you can stick to card and place on the spindle to align the cartridge.

Incidentally, if you need vinyl and you can get up to Perth occasionally, 78 Records is buying more and more new vinyl, Dada Records has loads of new and second hand stuff, and there's also Blowfly Records downstairs in a little shop off Barrack Street who have a good second hand range, well priced according to condition.

Cheers

Stuey

Stuey said:
Hi Planarboy,

Incidentally, if you need vinyl and you can get up to Perth occasionally, 78 Records is buying more and more new vinyl, Dada Records has loads of new and second hand stuff, and there's also Blowfly Records downstairs in a little shop off Barrack Street who have a good second hand range, well priced according to condition.

Cheers

Stuey

Thanks for the blowfly tip stuey, I've never heard of that one.
I've said to my missus, when the new train is working, we will probably go to 78s every other friday night.
I just went record shopping in Adelaide, nothing special, I did get the new "Love" album by the Beatles on vinyl and I havent heard it yet.
I got a White Album, that I checked at home - says "direct metal copy"...doh, look closer silly.
Originals are better.
I've been buying an artist on vinyl called Aphex Twin...the music is techno and very easy not to like i suppose...I just love the sound of drums.
To me the cartridge LOOKS like you just chuck it on.
What I did too, was just that, and proceeded to "play" a couple of records, just to try it, cos i cant listen yet.
So I hope I havent done BAD damage to the stylus by putting it on without a tool or any means of precision or any knowledge.
Today I have a day off and plan to just sit and learn about all tonearm and cartridge adjustments...if I kill an ortofon stylus in the process I don't mind toooo much as long as I have learnt a good deal per dollar replacement cost.
Someone said to get a better stylus anyway, which will happen before a cartridge upgrade..I thinking about gambling my money on Ortofon salsa to start me off on moving coil, but first i must upgrade the motor and or solve speed issue.
This bit by bit approach is gonna be a grind for a while, still miles away from a decent preamp.
Ramblin's a paddlin' though

planarboy said:

I just went record shopping in Adelaide, nothing special, I did get the new "Love" album by the Beatles on vinyl and I havent heard it yet.
I got a White Album, that I checked at home - says "direct metal copy"...doh, look closer silly.
Originals are better.
I've been buying an artist on vinyl called Aphex Twin...the music is techno and very easy not to like i suppose...I just love the sound of drums..

I went into 78's today (I work in Perth CBD) and they're getting more and more new stuff. I went to see if they had the Grinderman album (Nick Cave's new band) and indeed they did - for $55! But normally their new albums are between $22 and $32.

They had plenty more and have lots of 180/200 gram copies, and reissues.

Cheers

Stuey

Stuey said:

I went into 78's today (I work in Perth CBD) and they're getting more and more new stuff. I went to see if they had the Grinderman album (Nick Cave's new band) and indeed they did - for $55! But normally their new albums are between $22 and $32.

They had plenty more and have lots of 180/200 gram copies, and reissues.

Cheers

Stuey

Hey stuey, ASAP I will be going up to Perth..did you know there is also a record place just on the foodland side of the track at Maylands station, virtually all second hand, i cant wait to go back there, last time i was there i was only looking for dirty little cds.
Right now I have a small collection, mostly Beatles and like I said Aphex Twin..I guess i really like heavy music, a quick review of my wishlist and its all stuff i used to listen to when i was a kid.
Nothing obscure either, I'm a total mainstream hog.

planarboy said:

Hey stuey, ASAP I will be going up to Perth..did you know there is also a record place just on the foodland side of the track at Maylands station, virtually all second hand, i cant wait to go back there, last time i was there i was only looking for dirty little cds.
Right now I have a small collection, mostly Beatles and like I said Aphex Twin..I guess i really like heavy music, a quick review of my wishlist and its all stuff i used to listen to when i was a kid.
Nothing obscure either, I'm a total mainstream hog.

No worries, PB - I'm no 'alternative snob'. I have everything from Beethoven to Norah Jones, with the Jesus and Mary Chain in between...

I do have about 200 in vinyl, though, as I'm old enough to have bought them new. From pristine The Who to the whole Smiths catalogue just before vinyl died (before it came back...).

I might try that place in Maylands. Dada's has literally thousands of second hand LP's too.

Stu

planarboy said:
hey stuey, you got the who?
My aunty Beth is giving me her drumstick - Keith Moons!!!!!!
I have to remind her about it.

I used to play drums...I guess your Keith Moon trumps my pair of Phil Collins' sticks, though... ;)

I have a few albums from The Who and also the Quadrophenia soundtrack, which is half comprised of their tracks. I'm no longer a huge fan, but I've learned never to dispose of old music! You always regret it.

Cheers

Stuey

I've learned never to dispose of old music! You always regret it.

Cheers

Stuey [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, see the thing with records is: why get rid of 'em.
I can understand someone needs to finally ditch the 57 chevy or something, but records?
I'm trying to convice a guy on ebay to keep a record set rather that sell it, he'll regret it if he does, bidders will hate me.
I wonder who or what has the biggest record collection in Australia.
I still actually haven't got the Keith Moon drumstick in my hot little hand yet, a Phil Collins pair to me is very desirable too.
I'm going to give my beloved Aunt Beth a nice Sunday call;)

BTW this thread is not very much about it's original topic anymore, is that a no-no?
Hope it doesnt bother people too much...theres only a little bit in here about rb250 v rb300, ah well...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.