Differential output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2007, 01:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Differential output

I have a audio power amp with a symetrical input.

What´s the best way to turn a asymetrical output into a symetrical output?

I known the integrated line drivers like BB OPA134PA and Analog Devices SSM2142.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Fox is offline Fox  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

With a transformer (e.g. Lundahl).
Old 18th July 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you do not want to use a transformer as suggested, and still need an answer at this time, I suggest posting a question in the Solid State section of the forum.
Old 18th July 2007, 01:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've used three different solutions:

1) Turn your symmetrical input amp into a single ended input by grounding one of the inputs(typically the inverting, but check your owner's manual). If you are using short interconnect cables this solution is often the best sounding....no junk in the signal path. Some amps do not really use a true symmetrical circuit topology, and put an extra diff-amp in front of their "real" amp to support symmetrical inputs from PRO audio(long cable folks). Check your owner's manual.

2) Use a BB OPA134PA opamp, or you can find a couple JFET input and bipolar output circuits with a DIYaudio search. I've build a couple myself. Never use two ordinary opamps in series to create + and - polarity.

3) Use a transformer for both isolation and symmetrical signal generation. JENSON has several application notes on the topic. This is common in PRO audio.

Hide this!Advertise here!