LRK motor for Turntable? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
pixpop is offline pixpop  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pixpop
Default LRK motor for Turntable?

Has anyone considered the LRK motor for use as a turntable drive, either direct or belt drive?

Link to LRK info

Apparently, folks are regularly making these motors by hand, they are quite simple.

Interestingly, they are synchronous, but their magnetic field rotates much faster than the rotor does. In the examples on the link above, the field rotates at seven times the speed of the rotor.

Usually they are used as BLDC motors (== trapezoidal drive) but this probably produces too much torque ripple for a turntable application. However I see no reason why they could not use sinusoidal drive like any 3 phase motor.

There's probably another name for these motors, and I imagine, some motor company sells them, but I haven't been successful finding any, so far, apart from hobbyist versions.
Old 17th June 2007, 03:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: LRK motor for Turntable?

Quote:
Originally posted by pixpop

Usually they are used as BLDC motors (== trapezoidal drive) but this probably produces too much torque ripple for a turntable application. However I see no reason why they could not use sinusoidal drive like any 3 phase motor.
As I understand it the separated phase is an integral part of the design so it cannot be driven by a sinusoidal wave.

Quote:
There's probably another name for these motors
Yes they are known as separated phase sector (SPS) motors.
Information is pretty scant.
The info on the LRK site lacks the important part of the original paper (the derivations of the equations). Does anyone out there have the original with the equations?

Hide this!Advertise here!