Popular Electronics article on Direct Drive Turntable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2007, 07:21 PM   #1
amsci99 is offline amsci99  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Popular Electronics article on Direct Drive Turntable

Hi,

Anyone know about a vintage issue of Popular Electronics (from the 1970s, 1973 I think) that has an article on how to build a direct drive turntable. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2011, 07:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If I am remembering that article correctly (it was ca. 30 yrs. ago!) the article described a kit turntable. The table is direct drive with an electronic speed control (auto pitch control) and speed fine-tune adjustment. It was a Netronics model 450D. I built one of these and have used it ever since. It's a good turntable and I can't find fault with it, but some of the more sophisticated audiophiles on this forum may not find it up to their standards. But then, I still use my old Pickering 190D (I think that's the model number) with a Shure V something or other cartridge and think the set up is fine for my purposes.
Old 15th April 2011, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I seem to recall a magazine project like that (yes, it WAS over 30 years ago!) but I am not certain it was published in Popular Electronics. Since many libraries subscribed to Popular Electronics, there is a good chance you can find it either on microfilm, or digital scans.

Dale

Hide this!Advertise here!