Shanling A-3000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod0112314133.htm ?? Is this it ??

" ... if you didn't buy it from them or a proper authorised dealer then it will be hard (impossible for some models) to be repaired. ..."

"... The amp is really laidback sounding. ..." "... Great build but not so great sound. ..."

Sounds like a job for a Super DIY Guy ... ;) ... someone with lots of plastic caps, metal film resistors and a pocket full of LEDs ... Sy?

I'll probably point the finger to the Alps motor pot used in the volume control as the main culprit for poor transparency. Not sure about the other parts, but they are rather respectable bits an pcs in there.

If you wanna buy this amp because it's cheap(not sure about American of European pricing), for the power (200W RMS)then super diy would be a great idea.

It's got 2 pcs 6922 tubes in the input section and mosfets in the power amp section. And did I mentioned great build?

:D

" ... 6922 tubes in the input section and mosfets in the power amp section. And did I mentioned great build? ..."

Yes, a worthy candidate for DIY tweaks. Just add plastic snubbing caps, resolve the motor driven gain control problems, if any, add LEDs to the tube power circuits (ala Sy's formula), replace any suspect parts (probably not too many) ... :smash: = :D

That will probably add $1500/- or more of labour and parts cost when the DIY part is completed. Effectively it will become a $3,500
or $4000 amp. Not taking into consideration the "cost" of adding 1,500 or 2,000 dollars worth in time and parts.

DIY IS expensive ! It's just that we don't see the real costs .

;)

"....because it's fun..." and because we alter it " the way we want it".
It has never been cost effective and by any standards it's a loss , monetarily . But then the hidden costs and losses do not show and so it hurts the pocket much less !:D

Edit : Could possibly make a much better amp for less , from scratch , rather than buy a 2K amp and then mod it !

" ... Could possibly make a much better amp for less , from scratch , rather than buy a 2K amp and then mod it ! ..."

Build another, DIY? ... Of course.
For less? ... Of course.
Better? ... A tough call, this is very subjective. IMOP, yes, but not much better.
Better and for less? ... Again very subjective call. IMOP yes, but not much better and not much less.
Better sound, better looking and for less? ... subjective again, but probably not.

Of comparable quality:
Costs of chassis (used or new) with power transformer, connection hardware => US$500.
Costs of amp parts (kit or modules) => US$1000.
Costs of addons , tweaks, fancy features (remote control, motor drive gain, etc.) => US$500.
Costs of design talent, labor, etc., probably more than US$1000 (or US$0 as DIY).

Costs / Value (satisfaction, knowledge, pride) => US$1500 to US$2000 / US$priceless. ... :smash:

IMOP: If you already own it, go for it. If you don't own it already, build it DIY or look for something else to tweak and mod and improve upon ... I wish I had one to mod, improve, repair, tweak or otherwise try to improve ... :cool:

(Here is what I did for under US$1000 = http://3dotaudio.com/ampics.html ... but I now plan adding a third amp channel for a sub woofer => + US300. Notes: no remote control, no pre-amp, not as nearly as pretty ... I am very proud of the sound, but is it better than the Shanling? ... )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.