Technics 1210 problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
matt J is offline matt J  England
diyAudio Member

Default Technics 1210 problem

Hi,
I've done a quick search bit I cant find any problem similar to mine.

Basically I swapped the tone arm for the origin live arm board and RB300, the deck was fine before I started but when I put it all back together it wont start. It powers up and all the lights work but when I press start the platter doesnt move, I cant hear any noise either so its not even trying to spin.

I dont understand what I've done because I havent touched the electrics at all, just swapped over the arm board and arm, I did have to turn it upside down for a moment when I could get to a couple of screws, could this of done anything? also what happens if you try and start it up with the platter removed?

Thanks for any help
Old 19th April 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Nothing happens when you try to start it without platter.
Do you have the service manual?

/Hugo
Old 19th April 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes I've downloaded the service manual, doesnt really help though as I dont know where to start looking for the problem!!

The only reason I mentioned about trying to start it with the platter removed is because someone else asked me this but they havent got back to me as why it matters.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I thought it might be a problem between the start/stop button and the main PCB but theres continuity between all the wires at both ends.
Old 19th April 2007, 07:58 PM   #4

Looking at the trouble shooting part of the manual, the most common problem with a dead motor is Q1-Q3 being faulty, apart from a bad fuse.
Check the voltages at these points. Also, Q201 and surrounding components tend to have bad solder joints.

Is your SL1210 an old or a newer model?
You can easily know from the nasty busses in the bottom plate. The new version doesn't have them anymore.

/Hugo
Old 19th April 2007, 08:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist
Looking at the trouble shooting part of the manual, the most common problem with a dead motor is Q1-Q3 being faulty, apart from a bad fuse.
Check the voltages at these points. Also, Q201 and surrounding components tend to have bad solder joints.

Is your SL1210 an old or a newer model?
You can easily know from the nasty busses in the bottom plate. The new version doesn't have them anymore.

/Hugo
I'll have a look at what you mentioned.

whats a "nasty busses" ? its a mk5 if that helps.
Old 19th April 2007, 10:25 PM   #6

Default MK5

Don't worry about the busses in that case.
I don't know the correct word in Flenglish.

/Hugo

Hide this!Advertise here!