What goes around comes around!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The title is appropriate for me. I'm a 46-yr old reincarnated audio fanatic. Back in the '70s/80s, I had some decent equipment: Thorens turntable, Dual turntable and tubes. In college, I sold a large chunk of my soul to the devil and went with Sansui recievers, Sony turntable and yes Bose 601 speakers. The only thing I still have from that era is a 25yr old Sony turntable.

Over the last seven years, I've built quite a few sets of speakers (9) and a Bottlehead Foreplay along with a couple of those $100 S5 mono amps. My current projects are a new turntable and some diy chip amps. I also have a pretty nice dedicated FP HT with diy speakers.

As an old-noob, I don't know what to look for in a turntable. I remember the sales guy playing an LP on the Dual turntable while he held it upside down. Back then, that was damn cool and I bought it along with some pretty cool HK mono amps. I think the Thorens was probably a better unit than the Dual, but the whole demo process was just so cool. It doesn't really matter, because both are gone and the Dual was sold to help fund the 601s :ashamed: The 601s are now pushing up daisies in a landfill somplace around Atlanta.

I have access to a cache of classical LPs. I'd like to have a decent quality turntable to play them. Maybe, I should just get a good quality cartridge for the old Sony and give that a try. I also have 100s of classical CDs as well as RnR and Jazz, so the turntable will still be secondary.

I would look into Empire: http://cgi.ebay.com/EMPIRE-598-Gold...ryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In particular 208: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=26&sid=3dfe83047dfe9456d9072c7b8d53711f

http://www.atma-sphere.com/products/208.html

I know very little about Empire. Have never heard one. They are super rare here. But the 208 looks to have come without arm, like some Thorens decks did. The Empire arms don't look too hot.

The deck currently on eBay is rather expensive. Other Empire decks I have seen seemed to have gone for lower prices, though I never saw the final prices.

I'm not talking as an investor here. I don't care about that stuff. But I think the prices on the Empire decks will only go up, like Garrad decks and Ortofon arms and SPU carts have. I use to visit eBay just to see what stuff sells for. I have seen vintage Ortofon SPUs go for $2,000! I'm glad I bought mine when I did. I would never pay that kind of money for a cart.

Agree = retired hippie here. I used to go begging at the local audio equipment shops, scrounging parts and cast off equipment.

I'm heading back toward the analog world as well ... just finished a BottleHead ForePlay III pre and have coming a BH Seduction phono pre, plus on the waiting list for the latest Rega P3 (the new one due in May with the better platter) and Rega cartridge. ... the BH folks recommended this as a good match for their tube kits. ... and got plenty of teflon coated silver hookup wire ... waitin' ... but I'm driving the signal through some DIY power MOSFET amps X 3 channels ( L & R + Sub) hooked to planar speakers as mains ... :smash:

Jeff,

If the old Sony just doesn't get the toes tapping, build a big solid base for an old radio station tt. Read the bottom part of this link:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/europe.html

There are lots of people rebuilding these old tables, and using arms and carts of their choice. Some of these tables can still be had cheap, but not for too much longer. Check out some listings for Garrard and Thorens tables as an example.

Jeff

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
As one who has used a Garrard 301 for 33 years (on a heavy plinth, oh yes), I can thoroughly recommend a broadcast-type turntable. As an ex-broadcast engineer, I can tell you that any ex-broadcast kit will have been raced, rallied, and had coffee spilt on it. Watch out for play in the main bearing and flats on idler wheels. Older direct drives used bizarre (but replaceable) semiconductors, later direct drives used irreplaceable custom ICs.

I've had a couple of duals, the HK t60, but am now using a conrad johnson sonographe. The HK bettered any and all of the duals (1229 included), and the sonographe is a dream table for me.

(This deck was later bought out by Sota who is using it as their $1000 "entry" model)

I'd recommend the HK, as they come up occasionally on auction and can go for < $100 and it will compete with pretty much any "budget" deck out there. If you search this site you'll find I'm not the only one with that opinion.

(ps. I built the pass pearl and have it paired with some chip amps, and I've never been happier with my system)

Broadcast TTs

I tried to 'quote' the post further back warning on the risks involved in old broadcast decks - but that did not work quite as as I expected!!

The risks are real. I have had dreadful trouble trying to get an ex-BBC Technics SP10 working again having haad a PS failure. Also a friend has had similar problems with an EMT.

I am now in the process of building a heavy plinth for a newly acquired Lenco 75.....(.what goes round comes round - it was the first TT I ever owned - bought new in 1966). But this time it will have a really good arm and cartridge! Will report later.

many thanks EC8010

Yes, the PS was totally rebuilt and all caps replaced about 4 years ago. Also the PS boards were taken off-board and housed in the large void in the rackmount case and wired by umbilical of twisted, shielded pairs.

That mod improved noise a lot, but the whole deck suddenly stopped working in any way other than various lamps still work. I have a guy up here (Scottish Borders) who will have a look soon...

Thanks for your interest,
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.