Problem with Cinemag and AA 2006 phono.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using the Denon DL-103R with the Denon AU-300LC and the AA 2006 Phono

Recently I decided to try the Cinemag CMQEE-3440A as step up based on good feedback on audioasylum. However, after wiring it up as per cinemag's documentation, all I get is very distorted and scratchy sound, and I still can't figure out why.

Appreciate any suggestions from anyone to help me troubleshoot. I already checked the wiring many times, I also tried using only one primary, without success.

thanks! :)

I tried grounding both primary and secondary, only the primary. I tried revering one primary, I get very low sound level but the sound seems un-distorted. With both primaries in the same direction (as per the instructions), sound level is OK but distorted.

The instructions are here

I'm really scratching my head on this one, I thought this should be relatively simple to do...

BTW, maybe some of the analog and transformer experts can weigh in here, but that connection scheme shown at the Cinemag page linked to by pengboon seems very suboptimal, wasting wire and throwing away potential common-mode rejection advantages. Or am I missing something? How well balanced are those primaries?

OK, now do this same thing with the other primary.

When you were measuring resistances, did you check that all coils were isolated from one another and all isolated from shield and core?

edit: How do you have the secondary hooked up to the phono stage? Which input, what loading, yadda, yadda?

Same result with the other primary.

I chekced between coils, the resistance were in terms of Mohms, then slowly decreasing to kohms... is this normal?

I have the secondary (VIO) into the phono's input and white/grey/black into the phono's input ground. I tried connecting phono ground with primary ground and not, both yielded the same negative result.

The loading of the input should be 50kohms, I tried a 30k in // to make the reflected loading 14R to match the cart, but same result still.

The thing is, my Denon SUT (AU-300LC) works fine, so I think my TT/cart is fine, and the phono is fine. Something is wrong with the way I am hooking up or with the SUTs themselves...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is there any possibility that the input of the phono stage is being overloaded by the voltage gain provided by this transformer which for the 37 ohm input would be about 37:1 and for the 150 ohm input about 18:1? This is substantially more gain than the 10:1 transformer it is being compared against.. Just a thought..

Cinemag makes very good stuff and has excellent QC on their products, while it isn't impossible I would be very surprised if something was wrong with those transformers.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But I have some input trannies from a first-line manufacturer (much more expensive than Cinemag) which had exactly that problem- the secondary coils were connected out of phase internally. The manufacturer acknowledged the issue somewhat sheepishly and would have replaced them without hesitation.

kevinkr said:
Is there any possibility that the input of the phono stage is being overloaded by the voltage gain provided by this transformer which for the 37 ohm input would be about 37:1 and for the 150 ohm input about 18:1? This is substantially more gain than the 10:1 transformer it is being compared against.. Just a thought..

Cinemag makes very good stuff and has excellent QC on their products, while it isn't impossible I would be very surprised if something was wrong with those transformers.

My cart is spec-ed at 0.3mV, and I load it with 18.75k on the secondary, so on the primary it will be about 14R, same as the cart. This should result in about 5+mV into the phono. Will this overload the phono?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.