hookup wire question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have a few questions on hookup wire. I am getting ready to rewire my Transcendent Sound Tube Pre-amp. I originally bought DH Labs 18 gauge 99.99% silver wire. However, I have found out that it is too large of a gauge wire and this larger diameter wire might cause some audible transient smearing or confusion, depending on the bandwidth of the tube pre. Here are the specs:

Harmonic Distortion: Less than .02% at 2 volts RMS out.
Signal to Noise Ratio: Greater than 93 dB.
Bandwidth: 1 dB down from 5 Hz to 300 kHz.
Gain: 12 dB.
Max Signal Out: 20 volts RMS.
Output Impedance: 200 ohms.
Input Impedance: 50 k Ohms.
Inputs: 3, Outputs: 1, all single-ended, RCA
Controls: Input Selector, Volume, Power
Tube Compliment: 3-12AU7
Dimensions Overall: 15'W by 11'D by 4 1/4'H.
Weight: 10 pounds.

Is there a sonic difference between solid and standed wire? Or is solid wire just easier to work with?

So, my question to you guys is should I buy the 23 gauge DH Labs pure silver wire, go with a solid 20 gauge teflon coated silver plated wire, use the inner core of Belden 1506a wire (which I have) or use some other 20 gauge solid copper wire? My setup right now is right in between forward sounding and laid back.

Thanks,
Dan

Well, if you ask me, I would not be worried about "transient smearing" with 18 gauge wire. And don't worry about the frequency response above 50K (or maybe 100K if you are really serious about bandwidth), don't forget that you can't hear it and/or that your speakers cannot reproduce it and/or that your source does not provide it, so don't worry about that.

My opinion about wire is that solid core is easier to work with and hold on better. It looks neat. The sound? Well I don't know really, but I'm pretty sure it's fine.

F

At the phono input if any,I would(and I am using in my Quad pre)around 26-28awg which I find to give better low level information than thicker types.At the line inputs and output you could use a slightly thicker wire,say 22-24awg,and if you will rewire internal mains wires,try one at around 20-18awg.Don't ask me why,but playing with these for a long time,to my mind and ears sounds fine.But if you want to have some fun,do some experiments.I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.